Thread: Which canon L zoom?

Which canon L zoom?

Okay, I'm doing a little research and would love your input! My father is retiring this year and wants to buy me my dream camera - the canon 5d mark 2. I am beyond excited about this and can't wait. I was hopeing to upgrade this year and so may have some money for a lens! I would really like the 24 - 70 f/2.8 as I shoot alot indoors and the wide aperture would be great. What do you think? Any other recommendations? Looking forward to hearing your views! X
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

What a beautiful thing for your father to do, he obviously knows just how talented you are and how fabulous your photography is and it will give him much joy to do this. I have no input at all, I just wanted to say that.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

With zooms -read reviews. Places like wex (used to be warehouse express) have good honest uk reviews. Buy the best version you can afford. And personally I find the primes beat the zooms every time. Esp in low light indoors -zoom With your feet as my photography tutor used to say. I love my camera the mark II, so I know you will too,!
    Creative live have a whole night dedicated to our camera online soon, check it out, for brilliant tips.
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

the lens you are thinking about is my favorite. I have several zoom lens including the new 70-200, a 16-24, and the 24-70 - all 2.8. i have the 50 1.2, the 85 2.8, fixed lens. and my Dad gave me the Mark II just before he got reallyreaaly ill.

so we have father love in common and lens choice, too! you will be amazed with the camera.

Mel, what's this about an online event about the mark2? can we across the pond tap into it, too? if so, how?
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

oh yes - its actually over there not over here
    creativeLIVE | a live, worldwide creative classroom
    they have awesome live workshops you can watch for free, or pay to download and watch at your leisure on all kinds of photography subjects they have a calendar on the site that lets you be notified of any upcoming ones that you don't want to miss
    Thursday 3rd may I think is 'our' camera's little workshop, you can tweet or email in any questions you have about it, or just sit back and watch.
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

I love my 24-70mm. And, I second creative live. I have taken a bunch of course with them and I have learned a TON! Congrats on your new baby... you are going to love it!

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

I really enjoyed reading these flickr users favourites for the 5D...

Flickr: Discussing Best lenses for the 5D? in Canon 5D MkII

Sounds like the 16-35 2.8 would be a sweet lens!!

8. What are you looking to do Georgina?
    For my everyday photography my 24-70 f2.8 hardly ever leaves my camera. When i want to really use my zoom for kids sports and action shots I adore the 70-200 mm f2.8. It's heavy but the bokeh with the 2.8- 3.0 aperture on portrait shots is dreamy! Enjoy..how exciting!!

Oh course, Doris is right. Depends on what you plan to do. The 70-200 with an extender is unreal.

Thanks for the link to creativeLIVE!!
    just call me Uma

BUT I'm not gonna!

10. Extender? I need more details iUma!!! (Mother's day is just around the corner!!!)

11. Doris, I've been coveting the first one for a while.....
    canon extender 35mm Cameras Canon LensCoat Lens Accessories Extenders/Tilt
    Susan

Canon EF 1.4X III Extender is the one I have but I also use this much less expensive version....

which I have just spent a while searching for on the various sites where I s hop...but the item itself is down south....

Be back on Thursday and will post here....
    just call me Uma

BUT I'm not gonna!

Thank you ladies for your input. I have been branching out with my photography and have done quite a few new baby and even a maternity shoot for friends of friends! My primes were great for those and will of course work on the 5d m2 too! I think I will get the 24-70 when I've saved enough! It's going to be a long wait! I am thinking of doing some paid work - any hints/tips for setting up a business? Insurances/tax - argh, all sounds v. Scary! X
    Georgina
    My camera: Canon 5D Mark II
    Lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    Software: PSE 7 and Lightroom 3.7

Such a wonderful and generous father!! Does he need/want another daughter
    I almost bought the 24-70 but I was talked into the 17-55 because it has IS. Now that I'm hoping to upgrade, I'll have to sale my lens and buy the one I origanlly wanted. I do love it though! It rarely leaves my camera body. I also know that the 70-200 f/2.8 has gorgeous bokeh!! But it's rather pricy for a hobbiest like me! Good luck on getting a business going!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Quote Originally Posted by iUma View Post
    Canon EF 1.4X III Extender is the one I have but I also use this much less expensive version....

which I have just spent a while searching for on the various sites where I shop...but the item itself is down south....

Be back on Thursday and will post here....
    quoting myself!!!

But finally back with the info....

first. I have the Canon EF1.4X II Extender - not the MArk III version, though reviews says the III is not that different. BUT this only fits SOME of the L telephoto lens. I use it most on the 70-200 2.8mm and it rocks. And the whole getup weighs a ton....weather sealed for the Amazon but I don't really GO there anymore.....

SO KENKO

Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 1.4x AF Teleconverter PRO3001.4XDGXC

It is well rated, out of stock temporarily, but works with all the lens I have and notably is lighter and NOT weather resistant.

One another note, I attended the Canon 5D MarkII class on creativeLive.com (which Mel told us about above) and learned a lot. My favorite thing to learn was that the instructor, who just wrote the course on the Canon 5D Mark III said he was not upgrading and was satisfied with his Mark II.

SO, I sprang for Photoshop CS6 in the upgrade deal for the Design Standard Suite which I had in PS 5.

http://www.designerdigitals.com/digi...rades-cs6.html

quoting myself, referencing myself, lol....

anybody wanna talk to me???
    just call me Uma

BUT I'm not gonna!

Well, since we're talking lenses and to prevent iUma from having conversations with herself (like to guys you see standing on street corners!) I'll add my irrelevant comment
    My 16yo DD just bought a third hand Canon 30D and is very excited to start using it. Problem is that it came with a faulty lens. I saw an opportunity here to offload my cheaper lenses and purchase some nicer ones. So she's very kindly going to give me a few dollars for my 50mm f1.8 and I just purchased a Sigma 50mm f1.4. I'm excited for it to arrive!
    I would LOVE the new 70-200 mm f2.8 - it has been reviewed as being almost as good as a prime lens, and with an extender you can get up to 400mm. I even dreamed about it last night (isn't that SAD?!!) BUT it's pricy and I can't justify it just for personal use. One day we might win a lottery or something, and it will be first on my shopping list!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

17. I have the 24-70 2.8 for my Canon. I bought it specifically to take to France last year . . . after using it I found that it was so heavy on my shoulder that I decided to take my 18-200 and loved using it . . . never changed my lens, if fact didn't take the 24-70 because of the weight. I do love the 24-70 and use it most of the time on my camera when I am not traveling.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

ok, since I am NOT talking to myself, !!!

i put my lens on the kitchen diet scale.... weighing lens is what they are for, right??

the 70-200 I have weighs 3lbs, 7 and 3/8 oz.
    the 24-70 I have weighs 2lbs, 2 and 5/8 oz

I think it all depends on which 70-200 you have and it is all so subjective anyway.

They are both heavy but worth it. Why I lift weights.......used to be gardening but now...carrying cameras.
    just call me Uma

BUT I'm not gonna!

19. I had to laugh at the kitchen scale...I remember a photographer/scrapper saying that she had seen an ad for a personal trainer which said that he'd help you train for your specific goal. She wondered what the reaction would be if she said that she wanted to train to be able to heft her DSLR with one hand, in order to take self portraits...
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by home in ottawa View Post
    I had to laugh at the kitchen scale...I remember a photographer/scrapper saying that she had seen an ad for a personal trainer which said that he'd help you train for your specific goal. She wondered what the reaction would be if she said that she wanted to train to be able to heft her DSLR with one hand, in order to take self portraits...
    LOVE This
    my blog
    my gallery

Tools of the trade :
    Nikon chick D700 D200 D70
    lenses : 70-200;18-70 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.8 18-200 Flashing chick SB800
    macbookpro chick
    The chick needs - Nikon 24-70 2.8 ed & nikon 70-200 !

I am seriously thinking I need to do gym work for that same reason!! My camera club friend is happy to carry 10kg of gear in his backpack. I wilt carrying 5kg. Makes me feel like a wuss!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Quote Originally Posted by home in ottawa View Post
    I had to laugh at the kitchen scale...I remember a photographer/scrapper saying that she had seen an ad for a personal trainer which said that he'd help you train for your specific goal. She wondered what the reaction would be if she said that she wanted to train to be able to heft her DSLR with one hand, in order to take self portraits...
    You know, when I first got my 70-200 f/2.8 IS, I was so used to lifting my camera with one hand as it used to be just a 50mm on it. After one particularly long day with the camera in hand I developed tendonitis(?) in my lower arm. It lasted over three months. I was so embarassed to be in such a bad state because of a camera that I didn't dare going to the doctor or tell anyone in my family!
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

Oh, and I love the 100 mm f/2.8 L IS macro lens for my Canon 5D MkII when I'm doing portraits. And I love the 50 mm f/1.4 Sigma for the everyday shots and inside. It can get a lot of the photos I couldn't get when I had it on the 40D 1.6 crop.
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium