Thread: Another camera bag question....

Another camera bag question....

I am travelling on a hiking holiday in a couple of months time and need some suggestions from my wonderful friends here. I have a shoulder camera bag which is great but as we will be walking (10-20km/day) up and down hills, I think a backpack would be better.

I will be carrying my Nikon D300 with 18-200mm lens attached and will also be carrying my 11-16mm lens and probably another 1 or 2?? depending on weight. Other items include water and water bottles (Summer), jacket (for cool morning starts etc), passport, wallet and other basic items etc etc. Not sure about the tripod. I have a lightweight carbon one which is great for travel but I am 52 now (in body) although my mind has not realised this yet lol. This may stay in my pack which is being transported between hotels.

Any suggestions ladies? I will need something that can be locked with a padlock.

PS I am going hiking in Bulgaria so if anyone has any suggestions specific to this location, please let me know.
    Carolyn

Blog: House of Amson

My Camera: Nikon D300
    Lenses Include: Nikon 18-200, Nikon 50 mm 1.8 and 1.4, Tokina Macro 100mm 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (newest indulgence)

Carolyn, I had to laugh about the Bulgarian add-on! Sounds like an exciting trip!
    I wonder whether we really need "camera bag"s at all. Why not just a backpack?
    I, too, have a 50+ year old body that suffers if I carry too much weight on one shoulder. I recently bought a black wolf backpack from Anaconda. It's cheap and nothing to do with photography, but it's light and I put in a padded insert for my camera gear. I use the other pockets for drink bottles and wallets and rain jackets and whatever else I need.
    I'll confess that I originally thought I needed a super-duper backpack for my camera and bought a Crumpler from eBay. Yes it holds everything, but it's so padded and bulky that I have never used it!!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Carolyn, I saw Esther's backpack on the weekend and was so impressed with it, so neat and compact and then out comes her big lens. I swear it was like the tardis, heaps bigger inside than it appeared from the outside.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

I remembered seeing this a while back on Kevin & Amanda's blog.
    Why I Love My Camera Bag | Kevin & Amanda
    HTH
    -c-

Thanks so much everyone. Heading out to Anaconda this afternoon so that I can wear the bag in so it looks used. Fun!
    Carolyn

Lenses Include: Nikon 18-200, Nikon 50 mm 1.8 and 1.4, Tokina Macro 100mm 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (newest indulgence)

Good luck! Kevin and Amanda's bag looks good, too! I always feel like I need to take all my gear and pack it in the bag before I decide!! Since my backpack isn't padded, I use the camera padding from my lowepro passport sling in it.
    Let us know how you go!
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4

I have this bag...my step-son, the one who has his own production company in NYC (the only one I have!!) told me about it ....well, actually I saw his and ordered my own within the hour. I've had it for a few years and still love it. The bottom compartment with it's camera cushioning will hold my Canon 5DMII with the battery pack and the 24-70 lens. I took it on our trip to the Everglades but no hiking was involved. Seems for real hiking the padding would be crucial...for your back not the camera!!

Amazon.com: Kata DR-467i Digital Rucksack (Black): Electronics

HAve fun on your trip.

ETA: Did you already get the bag? Which one?
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

I have a Lowepro backpack for traveling.
    Mine is pretty big, since it fits my 17" laptop too, but DH has a smaller version and they have several sizes to choose from! With or without space for laptops/netbooks.
    Extra straps to fasten a tripod.
    Outside net-pocket for waterbottle.
    Easy access to "regular" things like wallet, keys etc.
    And padded straps to ease the wight on your shoulders.
    We can't imagine not having ours!
    Thess

My DD Gallery

A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. In the end I went to a few stores to get ideas of sizes etc and finally settled on this one. (Fancier Hologon Pro Camera Backpack DSLR 4 Lens Kit Camera Bags, Camera Backpacks, Video Tripods and Battery Chargers from Protog) Just ordered so hope it is as good as it looks in the video. (Most expensive one in the store but anyway....)

What sold me was the security of being able to lock the bag and having just one opening for the camera. It is also only accessible from the back (ie must take off backpack to get to camera). For some this may be an inconvenience but I have had a handbag slashed before (while carrying it and without me even knowing) and am travelling partly on my own, do not want to lose any of my camera items.

Now to rough it up a bit over the next couple of months. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Carolyn

What a great looking, secure back pack - perfect for what you want. I couldn't believe the stuff he kept pulling out!
    Donna

My Gallery

NIKON D600, 24-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, Macro 105mm 2.8, 28-300mm & FUJIFILM X-E1
    PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

It's always good to see the video! Love all the little compartments and it looks like a great size. It doesn't look too big. I have a smaller frame so it is a trap! Love his comment "if you carry more than that you're nuts"!!

great idea about the off your back access!!

As well as I can see after a long search the bag is AUSSIE only!!

Love it when things are out of my access!! Thank god.
    just call me Uma

BUT I'm not gonna!

lol! I can send you one, Uma. Any time!!

Maybe I'll just pick it up from you when we are there ...... next year!!!! YAH!!!
    just call me Uma

BUT I'm not gonna!

Just name the time and place and I'll be there!

Uma I hope that you will be heading north???? When will you be travelling our way????
    Carolyn

We are traveling to Canberra for a conference during the winter months of 2013....when ...exactly .... I do not know....wait, I can find out.

February 5-8!! tada....

He, the traveling husband wants it to be a round the world sort of thing.....Japan, VietNam, India, Paris....Right. I can't be away from work that long. He is on sabbatical. We will see.

How far north ARE you Carolyn? I've been to Australia twice and the second time traveled north on the coast to Brisbane, then to Cairns, then Darwin and Kakadu, inside to Uluru (ALice), then back to Sydney. So I have an idea how far north, north can be!!

I'll let you Aussies know when the plans are firm. Wouldn't that be a blast??
    just call me Uma

BUT I'm not gonna!

Sounds such an exciting trip! I'm in Brisbane and know Trace is also here. Janet is just up the coast somewhere. Would be great if we could organise a get together somewhere with Aussie scrappers. My parents are in Canberra so we head down a couple of times a year. I love Canberra and would move back if I could afford it...

Just let us know when plans firm up.
    Carolyn

Quote Originally Posted by Amson View Post
    Sounds such an exciting trip! I'm in Brisbane and know Trace is also here. Janet is just up the coast somewhere. Would be great if we could organise a get together somewhere with Aussie scrappers.
    Oh yeah... I'll be in that...

software: PSE10 / iMAC
    Camera: Nikon D90 Digital SLR. 35mm 18-105mm