Thread: Very New to All This

1. Very New to All This

Hi,

I am very new to scrapbooking in general! I have always loved taking pictures, but I have just kept them on my computer for myself to look at here and there. The other week I stumbled upon Project Life and LOVED the idea of being able to document life in a simple, easy way with virtually no mess to clean up at the end! Now I'm finding all these ideas for making digital pages/layouts ect. I am so excited!

I have spent the last couples weeks watching tutorials and reading up on Photoshop and I've learned so much by just reading and watching! I have one question right now, "Where are the best places to print some of my creations?" I would like to print some 6x12s as well as some 8x6s for two pockets from PL? Should I just invest in a printer and some paper? I would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Any advice would be gladly accepted!

I have been printing my 12x12 layouts at Persnickety Prints and LOVE them!! I don't see where the print those odd sizes though. But you could put 2 12x6s together, print 12x12 and then cut them apart.
    I have been a scrapbooker forever, but am just now making a full switch to digital!
    Designer Digitals is a WONDERFUL place! You will love it here!!
    Brenda - wife, mother, animal lover!
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

3. Love that you are hooked on digi! You will have such fun working in Photoshop with your stash of photographs . . . and you will love the no mess aspect too. So happy that Project LIfe has brought you here . . . and so happy that you have introduced yourself! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work.

You will get plenty of advice on printing for the helpful girls here. I mostly print on my Epson printer so i'm no help at all.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

Just wanted to welcome you to DD -- so glad you found your way here. I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

You are at the beginning of an exciting journey! Just reading your description takes me back to the beginning of my journey! I have loved being able to get the photos off my computer, combine them with their stories and print them to share!
    I print up to A4 (85x11) on my HP Photosmart printer at home and am pleased with the quality. I know that others can recommend other printers, including those that can print 12x12. But the inks are expensive, so I pay for the convenience. I haven't had single pages printed commercially, but I save my pages up to have them printed as a photobook at Shutterfly or Blurb or similar (Australian companies).
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I do all of my printing at Costco and will sometimes print multiple pages/sizes on a larger print page and then just trim them to save money.

Welcome to DD - this is a wonderful place to be and learn

Another vote for Persnickety prints. I would just put more than one 6X12 together and cut yourself. Printing from home can be really costly and in my opinion no where near the quality of a professional lab

Welcome to DD! I am doing a digital version of Project Life and I am having so much fun with it.

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

Welcome welcome!! You will just love digi scrapbooking!! If you ever have a question as you are embarking this new hobby, just post a question in the forum and someone will answer your question!! I can't wait to see your creations in the gallery!!

I've printed my books with Shutterfly! My hybrid items or single pages I need right away, I've printed through Costco!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17