Thread: new to everything. . . need a coach

1. new to everything. . . need a coach

All I can say is WOW. . . I'm a *pinterest* gal and stumbled on this site from there. I never knew this existed. . . digital scrapbooking. I have dabbled a tad in scrapbooking, but with all the other crafts I do, I just didn't want to get heavily involved in yet another addiction and buy all the supplies and equipment, not to mention expand my craftroom.

From what I have seen so far, I think this is something I am going to become addicted to.

If there is anyone out there that would like to help me get up and going, like where to start, I would surely appreciate it.

I have read a lot of the posts and this seems like a friendly place to be.

You're going to see a lot more of me. . I'm so excited. . .

Yay!!!! SO happy to read this! You've stumbled into the right place!!! There are so many freebies to get you started with playing here and SO many ppl to help with questions you may have! I can't wait to see your work in the gallery!
    As far as getting started, I think there are some tutorials for Photoshop here and Cassie's Tutorials will be a huge help in getting you started with digital scrapbooking!
    Digital Scrapbooking Products at DesignerDigitals
    LoriS

My Gallery

You're so right - this is a very friendly place to be - all you have to do is ask a question and you'll have LOTS of coaches willing to offer advice and help It's incredibly addicting and rewarding - welcome and enjoy!!

4. Welcome! There is certainly a lot to take in at first! There is lots of helpful info to be found under the "Tips" and "Getting started" tabs found on the top purple tool bar. I'd suggest starting from there and ask questions as they come up. It is always helpful if you post what version of photoshop (PS) or photoshop elements (PSE) and what computer platform you are using, when you ask questions. So many wonderful, talented and helpful people here that addiction is inevitable! Have fun!
    Susan

5. Thanks ladies, you are all so kind. . . and quick. . . I do have a ton of reading to do. The tips and getting started sections a chalk full of info Iam looking forward to reading all of it. I have started to read some of it, wow theres a lot to learn. But the nice thing is it is there whenever I need it.

I think it might be awhile before you see any of my work in the gallery, but you never know.

One thing I do have a question about is, once you purchase a kit or download a free kit, is it stored in the Photoshop file or is it in the file on your pc? In other words, do you have to hunt all over for the supplies? That may be a silly question, but I downloaded some free font before I discovered this site and once it was downloaded I went to my docs to view it. It would be nice to have it all in one place. If it isn't I plan to do a file for digital scrapbooking do it will all be in one place.

Thanks again ladies. . . the addiction has set in, I have chores to do and here I sit planning my first page.

Also, where is the best place to purchase Photoshop as far as price goes?

Have a good day,

Quote Originally Posted by maidinmontana View Post
    Thanks ladies, you are all so kind. . . and quick. . . I do have a ton of reading to do. The tips and getting started sections a chalk full of info Iam looking forward to reading all of it. I have started to read some of it, wow theres a lot to learn. But the nice thing is it is there whenever I need it.

I think it might be awhile before you see any of my work in the gallery, but you never know.

One thing I do have a question about is, once you purchase a kit or download a free kit, is it stored in the Photoshop file or is it in the file on your pc? In other words, do you have to hunt all over for the supplies? That may be a silly question, but I downloaded some free font before I discovered this site and once it was downloaded I went to my docs to view it. It would be nice to have it all in one place. If it isn't I plan to do a file for digital scrapbooking do it will all be in one place.

Thanks again ladies. . . the addiction has set in, I have chores to do and here I sit planning my first page.

Also, where is the best place to purchase Photoshop as far as price goes?

Have a good day,
    First of all WELCOME!! DD is THE best digi place!!!

When you download something, instead of chosing "save" chose "save as". That allows you to tell your computer WHERE you want something saved. Set up a special file for your digital stuff so you know exactly where to go to find your stuff.
    Brenda - wife, mother, animal lover!
    Canon Rebel T3i
    Windows 7 & PSE 11

Welcome!! You will just love it here!! DD is such a great community with great people and amazing designers!! I watched some tutorials on here to get me started a few years ago!! digi is definitely the way to go!! Can't wait to see your creations in the gallery!
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gifDDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif
    My Camera - Canon 5D Mark II
    My Lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 50 mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
    My Software - Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5, ACDSee 17

Welcome, this is a great place to be! I think the best way to learn digi scrapbooking is through templates. Patti Knox one of the designers here at DD has a class over at Creative Passions that I'd have started with if I'd known about it. Once the layers palette makes sense to you all the rest will fall into place! Best of all, no mess to clean up afterward with digi!

Welcome to DD -- we totally understand addiction here! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

welcome to DD and digital scrapbooking! You are going to love it!
    Heather

Welcome! You found the best digital scrap home on the net! And, people are very helpful and friendly so ask away

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

12. Welcome! It is exciting to know you found us because of Pinterest! (I hang out there, too!)

We love new converts to digital scrapping. It is easy to learn especially if you start with one of Cassie's tutorials. It is like having her for your personal coach! Just take one step at a time and that's how Cassie's tutorials work. She takes you step by step and when you are done you will have a first layout. (The tutorial even comes with the papers and elements you need to complete the layout.)

Getting Started: Your First Layout - Digital Scrapbooking Tutorials

and, be sure to pick up the freebies from the store that are offered each week. It's a great way to build up some supplies while you're learning to use your software.
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

13. I would recommend starting with Photoshop Elements 10. It's around $75 on most sites (I actually picked it up for $45 during Amazon's Black Friday sales).

Once you have your software, you can poke around on our site for all sorts of information, tips, and tricks.

I would recommend my tutorials linked below as a good starting point. The two of them will get you on the right track to creating your own pages with all the goodies in the store.

ETA: Merr and I posted at the same time.

Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

Welcome! You will love digital scrapbooking and the community here at Designer Digitals. I agree that templates are the easiest way to get started and they are pretty quick. Everyone here is so willing to help out with any questions you might have, so ask away. Looking forward to your first post in the Gallery!
    Joanne

My Gallery

Camera: Canon 6D
    Lens: Tamron SP 24-70mm
    Canon EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
    PSE 12 on a PC

Welcome, you will LOVE this addiction !
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Welcome to DD! Be sure to ask questions as there are lots of people to answer and also a lot of people that might learn from the question also.
    Beckie

Welcome to DD! You are going to LOVE digital scrapbooking once you know what the heck you are doing! It is very addictive!
    When you purchase something, save it to a folder on your desktop when you download, this way you will have it all in one place... just remember, we are always here if you need help with anything, there is a lot to learn and digest but it is such fun!!!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

I remember when I first discovered digital scrapping - I felt the same way you do now - So excited but a bit overwhelmed. . Can't wait to see your first page!

Another big welcome to DD! And, yes... you will be addicted very, very soon! But, that's OK... it's a good addiction. Actually, it's a fabulous one! And, we can't wait to see more of you and your new addiction!
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

Welcome, and yes you will become addicted very quickly! I always said I would never go from paper scrapping to digital, and I still have a room full of paper, that I very seldom touch! I LOVE the ease of digital scrapbooking. (Once you get the hang of it)

When I started a couple of years ago, I was like you, I was overwhelmed and had no idea where to start..... I didn't even know how to download the digital files to my computer! I've come a long way since then, and started with Cassie's working with template tutorial, and just googled and played with other tutorials as well.

Photoshop 10 is a good program to have, as you can use it to store and edit, photos as well as digital supplies. Good Luck, have fun and if you have any questions, feel free to email me.

21. Good luck... you are going to love it here.... I'd say ditto to everything above.... but I'd like to add some other useful info .... every week new stuff comes out 20% off on Friday night at about 9 on the east coast....the sale lasts til Monday. there's a link for the freebies for each week that comes out at about the same time and there is usually 3 freebies..... also there is a sale that is every Thursday with Older stuff that is 30% off... on Thursdays and on the weekend there's usually 1 new product for either 50 cents or 99 cents .... when the big sales are on.... things are different. When I was new here .... 1 year ago.... I bought 1 tempate and 1 kit and 1 tutorial ..... I can tell you it changed my world ..... hope it does the same for you! There's a quarterly sale... I think the next one will be in February, the last one everything was 30%off with freebies and challenges.... Ask lots of questions and have fun!
    Debbie Douglas aka Minideb
     photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gif