Thread: Cycling blend modes on a mac

Cycling blend modes on a mac

I've been wanting to do this for ages - it was so easy on a pc! Turns out it's easy on a mac too. Press OPT-SHIFT-+ or OPT-SHIFT-- to cycle to next or previous blend mode.

There are even shortcuts for each blend mode.

Press OPT-SHIFT and any of these:
    • N (Normal)
    • I (dIssolve)
    • Q (behind)
    • R (clear)
    • K (darKen)
    • M (Multiply)
    • B (color Burn)
    • A (lineAr burn)
    • G (liGhten)
    • S (Screen)
    • D (color Dodge)
    • W (linear dodge (add))
    • O (Overlay)
    • F (soFt light)
    • H (Hard light)
    • V (Vivid light)
    • J (linear light)
    • Z (pin light)
    • L (hard mix)
    • E (differEnce)
    • X (eXclusion)
    • U (hUe)
    • T (saTuration)
    • Y (luminositY)
    • C (Color)
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

So "P" misses out! That is a fascinating tidbit, Heidi! Now all I need is a tip on how to remember and the shortcuts!! I can't even remember the toolbar shortcuts and I use them all the time!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Quote Originally Posted by esther_a View Post
    So "P" misses out! That is a fascinating tidbit, Heidi! Now all I need is a tip on how to remember and the shortcuts!! I can't even remember the toolbar shortcuts and I use them all the time!
    LOL! Didn't notice that I probably won't remember them all, maybe except soft light, overlay, multiply and some others, but the cycle through all is awesome...
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

I can't wait to try this! Thanks Heidi!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Cassie would tell us this in her HDTDT chats.....first I'd forget it. Then I'd write it down and lose the paper ( those were WILD chats!). ...and I'd always WANT to know it right when I was WORKING and didn't want to chase it down.

Thanks, GEEK!!
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

Retired Creative Team Member and always family

6. Oh, thanks! This will really help. I love this feature on my PC. It makes sense that you can still do it on a Mac, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how!

AND ONE MORE THING following our Geek's lead.....

I discovered an easy way (which I ACTUALLY use) to change brush size and hardness without going into the brush palette. I do it on a Mac and use the wacom tablet so it might be different on a PC or with a mouse.....

Control key and option key held down and moving the stylus left to right changes the size while up and down changes the hardness!!
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

Retired Creative Team Member and always family

Quote Originally Posted by iUma View Post
    Cassie would tell us this in her HDTDT chats.....first I'd forget it. Then I'd write it down and lose the paper
    Have you been peeping in my windows, Patricia? I only have to go back to the tutorials for these kinds of things once (ok, maybe twice) and then I know it. :O)
    Didn't know about the letters, anxela, but I'm not even going to try and remember those. I'll stick with scrolling. :O)
    ~Kelly

so cool! I will print this out and keep it next to the computer. Thanks Heidi
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Thanks so much Heidi! I guessed there must be a way, but had tried many combos with no luck.

I've found that one way to find new things on the computer is to let your 1 year old touch it, he managed to lock a layer in PSE in a strange way the other day, no idea how, but I had to delete it in the end as I could not get it unlocked lol.
    Chrissy x

My software: PSE 12 for Mac, run on my Macbook Pro!, yay!
    My camera: Canon EOS 600D or still my trusty IXUS 950IS ( though it clunks a lot opening its shutter), or more likely my iPhone 4S

My blog

Thanks so much Heidi. I'm curious as to where you found this or did you just play til you found something that worked. I recall back in my serious Word days, there would be so many shortcuts I knew but mostly I learned them by word of mouth like this.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Thanks!! I too keep forgetting the shortcuts. I think that this time I will print them out and laminate it.