Thread: home in ottawa - texture technique?

home in ottawa - texture technique?

Yesterday you posted the most wonderful page of your father's boat. I love the texture and would love to know how you did it.

2. Sorry, just seeing this now! I posted some notes from a chat with Katie last November under the Tips and Techniques<"How to use the new blendables cards". Can't wait to see your pages!
    Susan

I searched but could not find your post. Did you use a texture on top of the entire page to make the photo texture consistent with the background paper?

Thanks for your help!

4. No problem, here it is: Katie used a regular mask and textured paper:

At a DD chat last November, Katie shared her technique for blending to add the paper texture to a photo. I tried to find the chat notes in the forum recently, but couldn't, good thing that I printed them at the time. I have been playing with cottage photos. Here is a synopsis of Katie's technique (with some translations from Pattie) in PSE. Open a background paper with texture (just linens and the Annelise solids have worked well for me). On the next layer add the photo. On another layer, position a mask over the photo, resizing the photo and/or mask as required. Turn off the visibility of the mask. Control/command click on the mask layer thumbnail then select the photo layer. You'll get marching ants around the outside of the photo mask silhouette. Go to "Select"> "inverse" and delete (this deletes the unmasked portions of the photo). Go to "blending mode", for texture, Katie selects "colour burn". At this point, duplicate your blended photo so you can play with it safely and turn one of the duplicated layers off. With the remaining layer, go to the "enhance" menu and select "adjust lighting", select "level" and play with the sliders, and opacity. If you don't like where things end up, you can delete that layer (or undo) and start again with the duplicate layer. I don't have PSE open at the moment, so if you have issues with the instructions, let me know and I'll try to clarify.
    Susan

Wow, thank you for taking the time to post this. I am about to embark on a huge project. DS was just married and I have dating, proposal, bridals, shower, wedding, wedding dinner, reception photos. So even though I have digi scrapped for over 10 years, I want to stretch myself and create a different style for each of the categories. Should be a fun adventure.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me!
    Sallie

6. You are welcome! Looking forward to your pages!
    Susan

Thanks Susan for putting that here as well. ETA: Your notes aren't in that thread Susan. Were they taken out??

The Tips and Techniques thread would be nice to have as a sticky.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

8. Sorry ladies, I posted it in the "How to and quick tips" thread> "How to use blendable cards" by cincirachel. It is still there.
    Susan

I agree with Maureen, having the tips and techniques as a sticky...

software: PSE10 / iMAC
    Camera: Nikon D90 Digital SLR. 35mm 18-105mm