Thread: Wireless keyboard help

1. Unhappy Wireless keyboard help

Ok you Mac techies I need help!! Just bought a wireless keyboard and mouse for my Mac, followed the instructions to pair the keyboard but now the keyboard functions are all out of sync. I press the key which should increase volume and the dashboard comes up instead!

I've googled the forums and looked on Mac support and still can't get an answer! Lots of threads about the same thing but no easy fix I can find. My operating system is Mac OS X 10.5.8 - anyone got an answer to this little challenge? Heidi, Maureen? I can't get back to the apple store until next week and it's bugging the life out of me at the moment!

Fiona

I wish I could help you but I have absolutely no clue. I noticed of course that you didn't mention my name anyway I'm sure they'll be around...
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

hmmm... its all wrong Fi. my wireless keyboard starting working correctly the moment I turned it on... no waiting, no issues. same with hubbys. I wonder if its either a very faulty keyboard or a problem with you still running leopard and not snow leopard.
    does the box say anywhere you need version 10.6 and over?
    if not I'd call them, apple support is fantastically good at helping {as opposed to adobe for example where you have to fight all the way...}

good luck!
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

It sounds like you have to set it up... Have you tried System Preferences - Keyboard - Keyboard tab, and then be sure "Use F1 ... as standard function keys" is unchecked...
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

Oh, and the wireless keyboard might turn up as an option of its own in the System Preferences...
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8

I also guess that if you press the "fn" key while holding in the volume increase key, you should be able to increase volume. HTH, if not, post again.
    -anx -

My Gallery

Fiona, I've got a wireless set up with my iphone and ipad but use a plugged keyboard on the MacCastle (my giant tower girl!!). The wireless did function normally. I am guessing you have some special set up enabled for the function keys. Heidi's advice should work.

Let us know.
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

Fiona I feel your pain but it has made me giggle a little bit, like you are in a convertible trying to start the car and the headlights start flashing, and the horn sounding and the top flying up and down!

Hope you have it sorted by now.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

9. I was going to suggest the same as Heidi. Depending on the keyboard you have, there may be a need to strike the Function key (usually Fn) if a key shares other commands.
    Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

Glad you have had a lot of suggestion Fiona. I don't have a wireless keyboard - I'm still tethered! I did note that you still have Leopard which might be the issue. Below is from the store.

System Requirements

Mac computer with Bluetooth wireless technology
    Mac OS X v10.6.8 or later
    Existing keyboard and mouse for initial setup
    Two AA batteries (included)

I was all set to get a wireless keyboard to make my little mouse happy, but dh is pushing me to get the trackpad since Lion is designed to work easier/better that way. Has anyone else gone trackpad with Lion?
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

I'm still {wireless} mouse with Lion. Yeah Fiona - I'm sure the new keyboards are 10.6 and above.
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

12. Heidi, I tried holding down the fn key but I still get the dashboard instead of volume control I've phoned apple support and I'm supposed to be getting an email to talk me through getting it set up but so far it hasn't arrived. The thing is, I had no choice but get the wireless keyboard, there aren't any small usb keyboards available anymore. I'm considering taking it back and claiming it was mis-sold considering there was no other alternative, and certainly no warning that it wouldn't work on my operating system - all I got from the 12 year olds ;-) (that's the age all the sales assistants looked) was that it's all wireless now. I'm not for the hassle of upgrading my system for a keyboard so I'd rather just buy the larger USB keyboard! I'll let you know of any further developments.

Fiona

Quote Originally Posted by Applechick View Post
    I'd rather just buy the larger USB keyboard!
    I bought the wireless a while back and returned it the same day because I wanted the 10-Key. How's that for silly?!
    ~Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Applechick View Post
    Heidi, I tried holding down the fn key but I still get the dashboard instead of volume control I've phoned apple support and I'm supposed to be getting an email to talk me through getting it set up but so far it hasn't arrived. The thing is, I had no choice but get the wireless keyboard, there aren't any small usb keyboards available anymore. I'm considering taking it back and claiming it was mis-sold considering there was no other alternative, and certainly no warning that it wouldn't work on my operating system - all I got from the 12 year olds ;-) (that's the age all the sales assistants looked) was that it's all wireless now. I'm not for the hassle of upgrading my system for a keyboard so I'd rather just buy the larger USB keyboard! I'll let you know of any further developments.

Fiona
    I'd get it from ebay. Lots of small usb keyboards for sale there. Ten bucks or something.
    -anx -

My Gallery

Maureen, I would love to get a trackpad, but haven't bought it yet, as I have a wacom tablet, and use that a lot.
    -anx -

My Gallery

I'm not enamored of the trackpad idea but I suspect it would save my 'mouse finger' that tends to get sore - the index finger. I've yet to install Lion. DH is still working through his issues with it and as soon as we get back from NY, it's on my October agenda. We've had a lot of to-ing and fro-ing this month.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

Taking with my brother who is way more computer inclined than me, It sounds like you haven't installed the specific driver for your keyboard. Search for the make of the keyboard and mouse to find out which driver to download Hope this helps.