Thread: Need Layout Suggestions

Need Layout Suggestions

Hi all! I have 8 or 10 snapshots of my grandmother at various ages (age 7 up to abt 90) and I'd like to put them on single (2 pgs if it gets too cramped) 12x12 layout along with a few snips of documents and elements relating to important times in her life. I have cleared out the background of each photo so that each is a cutout of her- some full-length, some head & shoulders only. But now that I've gathered everything and am ready to put it together I can't come up with a good layout and way to put the photos in that looks nice.
    I may just go back and use the original photos instead of the cutouts, because that I know I can put together into something that I'll be happy with, but I really like the idea of using the cutouts-- just can't come up with a way to do it so they don't look like random stickers plopped on the page.
    I'd appreciate ANY suggestions!
    ~Christy

I've done that on two pages - one of my grandmother and one of my father. Let me just see if I can find them in my gallery, one tick.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Here's the one I did on grandma, I've linked it up if you want to see closer, probably one of my favourite pages I have done on her:

Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

To be honest I would probably use the original photos, edit them in lightroom or photoshop until you are happy with the effect, and start creating your layout. Next I would pick a kit that speaks to you. Choose a colour scheme you think would work with the photos, a frame pack or cluster frame you love, and maybe get some blank journalling blocks to use for the documentation/stories you have, and start creating Have fun and search the gallery for inspiration!

Here are some product ideas...

Hope this helps,
    Melissa

I've used this template

Layered Memories No. 077 - Digital Scrapbooking Templates DesignerDigitals

for a collage of my daughter. Not the same feel that you're going for since my DD is young, but it worked for a bunch of unrelated photos. I think it would probably look more uniform if you either used the full pictures, or put the cutouts in front of a similar-shaped background to give a little unity and balance. This is the page I did with that template. Good luck!
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

Nice inspiration- thank you! Maybe I can mostly use the original photos with 1 of the cutouts as a blend/ overlay on the background, and another 1 or 2 of the cutouts like elements dropped on top of the other items.
    I'll have to play around with it a bit....

I did this one with brushwork in the background. You could change them up for the pages or keep a theme this way.

And I did this one with Katie's Photo Clusters No.21 (altered).

Templates might be the way to go if you have tons of photos and I totally agree with Melissa about picking a kit that speaks to you. I also agree that you should use the photos. There is a lot of background "stuff" that is a lot of fun to look at and can tell a story or spark a memory with the person looking at the book. Can't wait to see your pages. What a treasure to have so many photos of her.
    ~Kelly

Oh, love all these suggestions! I've also been in love with all the layouts using the Lots of Shots templates lately... Makes for a very clean and graphic look to the page, but since it's a heritage page, that might not be what your after. But I'll just pop up the link for you anyway.

-anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

I think it might be easier to use the full photo and then add a photo treatment to help unify the photos. You can always blur the backgrounds to have a similar effect to the cutout.
    Beckie

If you wanted to use the pictures as sort of portraits, Katie has a wonderful series of frames that might be just perfect:

Frame Me No. 03C - Digital Scrapbooking Elements DesignerDigitals

Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

I would use the whole photo instead of cutouts!! I love heritage photos and even if they are in poor condition they are special memories to scrapbook. The wonderful ladies here have given you some great suggestions!!

Wonderful suggestions- I'll be sure to share whatever I come up with.