Thread: I have a question ..

1. I have a question ..

Being new to scraps.. could someone please tell me what CU.. CU4CU and all the other lingo is.? What does it mean? If I were to start making kit's for sale what would be safe for me to use in them? What can I not use? See so many questions lol

Thanks, IndyGurl <3

CU is Commercial Use.
    I don't recall seeing CU4CU.
    Kits are usually for personal use only. They are not for sharing or for reselling.
    Some kits include CU provision. Other designers have a separate CU license you can purchase.
    The other variation is S4O/S4H which means you can use the product to create photobooks or similar products for clients. They usually include a statement that any electronic products you sell must be as flattened images only.

Does that help?
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

3. yes! thank you.

as far as buying CU elements are they ok to include in kit's for sale? I think i'm confused as to what I can use in my own kits I have for sale and what's not ok to use in them.

I think that is exactly what CU means. But each kit will come with its own terms of use so you can check exactly what the designer allows. If you are unsure you should contact the designer directly.
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4

5. I'm pretty sure that it is not ok to resell any individual elements from any designer in your kit.
    HTH

I am pretty sure Doris is correct. The commercial license is for something like scrap for hire where you make the scrapbook and someone pays you, or maybe a business blog, but not to resell.

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jen D View Post
    I am pretty sure Doris is correct. The commercial license is for something like scrap for hire where you make the scrapbook and someone pays you, or maybe a business blog, but not to resell.
    That's my understanding, too, Jen and Doris.

If you are going to sell digital kits, the designs you include in the kits should be your own original designs.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

It is true that most CU licenses are scrap-for-hire. There are a few designers on other sites who specifically design things for use in kits. Here is the TOU from one of them. You will see it is very specific. You always need to read the designer's TOU file in the kit to know what the designer will allow.
    A commercial license is included in this set. Use these elements by incorporating them in a digital kit (packaged along with other elements) keeping in mind that my elements should not be the primary designs (not more than 30% of your designs must be my commercial use items.)
    You may alter these elements (recolor, add pattern, etc) but you cannot claim the original form or the altered form as your own.
    You are not allowed to resell, repackage, and/or redistribute these files in original format as it is.
    What tends to happen with these CU products is that a whole bunch of newbie designers grab them and you tend to see a flurry of similar looking kits.

You won't find any of those sorts of kits here - the DD designers always create their own unique products and all of the kits are for personal use only. Sometimes you can purchase an additional licence to scrap for others. For example, Ali has a $40 licence for use by photographers in publishing photobooks or for S4H (eg card making). Again, it is all spelled out in the kit's TOU file.

9. Thanks so much guys.. Now I understand a bit better. Lot's of help!

Thank you , IndyGurl <3

None of our products OR Scrap-4-hire licenses allow for Commercial Use.
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

This is interesting! Who knew you could use someone else's design in a kit you sell (not DD, but the one Esther quoted). Now I understand Esther's point about seeing similar kits come out simultaneously.