Thread: Opinions on storing APS canisters?

Opinions on storing APS canisters?

I got caught up in that horrid, evil, vile APS-format phase back in the mid-90s. Ugh! Everyone thought it was the "new thing."

Well, now I'm stuck with 100 or so developed canisters of APS film. I cringe when I remember how much it cost---$5 a roll to purchase, $15 a roll to develop. What a waste of money!

I printed the majority of the decent shots. The rolls aren't like negatives, which have affordable scanner extras so that you can scan them and preserve them. An APS scanner attachment runs in the hundreds. It would cost nearly a thousand dollars to reprint all my pictures, and maybe 2% are good enough to actually keep.

Should I throw the canisters out and scan the reprints? I can't imagine that ten years from now you'll be able to find a place that will reprint APS. Some of my local stores won't even take print film anymore.

What's your opinion on this dilemma?
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

Oh I know I'm going to get in trouble for saying this.. but if you are really sure you've got all the shots you want I would throw them away... don't know if you already looked but someone on one of the Amazon forums suggested purchasing a used Canoscan FS4000US
    scan the file and then resell it.. he said it sold it for the same amt he bought it for.. I looked and there's one for $299 but that must be high because there are no bidders.. maybe keep an eye out for one
    We do not remember days; we remember MOMENTS

My Gear:
    Nikon D50, Nikon D200, SB600, SB800,
    Nikkor F1.4 50mm, various zoom lenses
    PSE 8.0 for Mac and a wonderful 21.5 IMAC
    Wacom Intuos 4

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaNJ View Post
    Don't know if you already looked but someone on one of the Amazon forums suggested purchasing a used Canoscan FS4000US
    scan the file and then resell it
    I may just do it eventually. It doesn't take a lot of space to store them, it's just I have a reflex against keeping something that "doesn't work." I'm sure I'm missing prints I want. In fact, I sent a ton to Walmart a few years ago to reprint and they lost two of the rolls. So I would rather do it myself---but it's not worth $300. I'll keep looking. My dad has a billion negatives and slides, too, that would be worth scanning as well. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses

Don't know if you saw this site.. they scan APS film and they let you delete the photos you don't want and you only pay for the ones you do.. maybe you could do a few at a time digmypics dot com

and slides and negatives can be done on most scanners today.. I have an Epson V700 which is excellent I can lay down the negatives it pre-scans them previews thumbnails of what photos are there and if it's good I press scan and it does them all at one time.. the price differences in scanners today have a lot to do with how many it will let you do at one time.. mine does 24 so it's a bit high end but it's worth it when you're doing 100 years worth :-)
    We do not remember days; we remember MOMENTS

My Gear:
    Nikon D50, Nikon D200, SB600, SB800,
    Nikkor F1.4 50mm, various zoom lenses
    PSE 8.0 for Mac and a wonderful 21.5 IMAC
    Wacom Intuos 4

5. Here's how to get the negatives out of the canister.

Epson photo scanners are as low as $80. You should be able to use the built-in transparency unit to scan the negatives to make prints. You just need the top light source and should be fine without any fancy gadget to hold the negatives.
    Sara

My DD Gallery: sarahorton
    My Blog

I got caught up in that APS-thing too... Unfortunately I have a lot more than 100 rolls...

Having things scanned and stored on discs or ehd's here in Sweden would cost me a fortune. One of the lowest quotes I got here in Gothenburg was about $2,000 and that did not include the actual burning or storing!!!

So, I gave up on that idea and held on to them.
    It took me three years, but I finally found a Canoscan FS4000US on the Swedish version of ebay, and won the bidding!
    It wasn't cheap, it cost me almost $500 including shipping, but I'm a happy camper!
    Unless I break it, I know I can sell it for at least that amount when I'm done.
    But now that I do have it, I'm not in a hurry either. I scan some rolls when I have the time and I'm not feeling too stressed about it.
    The rolls I'm done with, I throw away.
    I might offer to do my mother's and mother-in-law's rolls too... When I'm done with my own!
    Thess

My DD Gallery

A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

I had no idea what the APS film was! What a nuisance. I hope you can find an economical, convenient solution.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

@Sara, WOW! You are a genius. I had no idea you could pull the negatives out like that---I'm all over it. I can buy a cheap scanner and do it by hand. I need a scanner anyway, and I really need a flatbed, which is why I was flummoxed by the APS attachment concept.

So it looks like I've got my solution. Thanks, ladies, for all the direction----I was about to throw them out yesterday when I looked through my reprints and realized I'm missing a lot of good pictures.
    Sarah

9. glad it worked out! happy scanning
    Sara

My DD Gallery: sarahorton
    My Blog

10. I had the same APS thing....I just went through all of my old albums....and I was satisfied with the story they told....I wouldn't add another picture. Sooooo.....I threw them all away. Actually, because I am a little paranoid, I stuck them all in a zippy bag with water and bleach and let them soak for a day! Don't know if that will keep some weirdo from using them, but I felt better.