Thread: Laptop

Laptop

I am thinking of buying a 17 inch laptop probably a Dell. Any pros and cons that anyone can share with me.Are they well suited to scrapbooking and editing photos! Thanks for any advice anyone can give me. Ang66

I've been scrapping on Dell laptops for 4+ years now! Actually, I've had 2 Dell laptops over the past 10 years and I wouldn't recommend any other brand (except a Mac, but that's not even close to my budget right now). I've had a Toshiba laptop and an HP laptop and both were unstable and crashed a lot. Neither of my Dells have ever crashed.

I have the 15" because the 17" is a bit too unweildy for me when I was traveling with it but I would think the 17" would be great. I've been really, really happy with all of my Dell products.
    Steph
    My blog - steph's stuff
    My DD gallery - gallery
    Let's be friends on Facebook

Camera: Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 17-50mm f/2.8
    Software: Photoshop Elements 10.0

Thanks for the feedback Steph!! i just want to make sure before I buy!!

I have a 17" Dell laptop and its great for scrapbooking and photo editing. I do find that its heavy and bulky but I don't tend to travel with it much, just take it to the cabin and back mostly. I had a hard drive crash with it after two years but Dell replaced it promptly.
    Jane

My boyfriend won't touch anything but Dell pcs. I'm a mac person, but if I had to choose a pc, it would be a Dell!
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

Ang, 17" is great on the eyes but most 17" can be pretty heavy even at their relative low weight. Think of carrying a bag of sugar around. That was the only thing that got my dh to switch to a 15" (both MacBookPros but the idea is the same). He always had Dells before he had to go to laptops for travel and then had an IBM thinkpad which he loved. However it really almost blinded me when I tried scrapping on one cruise a couple of years ago.

Seriously, for scrappers of our age bracket, large size screen has to be balanced by weight if you plan to take it out on excursions a lot. If your baby doesn't go out on trips, opt for size! that's my 3cents.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

Gosh thanks so much everyone!!

8. Ang, I just bought myself an HP 17.3" laptop on sale at Best Buy. It is a little heavy, but I don't travel with it much, like Jane, just to the cottage and back. It came with PSE9, and I am having to learn windows 7, but that's OK.

I love my daughter, but it is so much fun to buy something for myself for a change. Enjoy!
    Susan

I have a 17" Dell Studio laptop and love it. I like that is has a full size keyboard. I got it from Staples about 3 years ago to replace my desk top and I've had zero problems. It is a bit heavy but I don't travel that much and when I do it is by car so I don't mind putting it in the bag and dragging it along.
    Gail

Another Dell owner

I've had a 17 " Dell XPS for about 2 years now. It's been great. Heavy, yes, but like everyone else I don't really lug it around much (mostly from one room to another so I can sit with it in my lap!) The big screen is great, and the keyboard is good for a laptop, too. Definitely recommend.

Loved my dell laptop, no problems at all ... but I did change to mac .
    Donna

My Gallery

NIKON D600, 24-70mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, Macro 105mm 2.8, 28-300mm & FUJIFILM X-E1
    PSE 10, LR 4
    iMac & MBPro / Mavericks

12. I'm on my 3rd Dell laptop. Love my current 17" machine. I travel quite a bit, so I have a rolling laptop bag.
    I've had a few little problems here and there, but Dell has always been great about replacing parts and repairing the machine.
    I'm very happy with my Dells and will buy another one when the time comes
    Sara

My DD Gallery: sarahorton
    My Blog

I have a Dell Studio XPS....I LOVE it!!! I have had some issues, but Dell came to the ranch..60 miles from the closest large city...and repaired it promptly. I do have 6GB of RAM...and the PSE organizer runs like a top. I'm not sure the size of the monitor...but I'm pretty sure that I chose RAM over monitor size...so probably 15 or whatever is standard. I have taken it traveling a time or two...but had my dh carry it on. I love mine and would get another when this one becomes "old".....LOL
    Pam

My Stuff: Nikon D80, Nikkor 50 mm 1.4, Nikkor 18 - 135mm, Nikkor 80 - 200mm, Speedlight SB-600 and my Epiphanie Lola Camera Bag!
    Software: Dell Studio XPS, PSE 11 and Bamboo Fun

I have a 17" MacBook and I love the size. It's not hard to carry around, I have a backpack with a sleeve, perfect! The size is a minimum for my old eyes
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

Smile

I need to buy a laptop, too, and this has been really helpful! Thanks everyone!
    Julie

Well I did it!! I ordered my 17" Dell laptop today!! There were some deals on so couldn`t resist! Thank you so much for the great feedback from everyone!!

Yay!!!
    Steph
    My blog - steph's stuff
    My DD gallery - gallery
    Let's be friends on Facebook

Camera: Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 17-50mm f/2.8
    Software: Photoshop Elements 10.0

Congratulations! Enjoy your new toy!

19. oh fun! i hope you love it as much as i love mine
    Sara

My DD Gallery: sarahorton
    My Blog

Congrats! Enjoy!
    Beckie

21. Have fun with your new baby!!! congrats.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

22. Enjoy!
    Susan

I'm sure you'll love it, Angela! Let us know what you think!
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium