Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by b2halter View Post
    Congratulations, Sarah!!! I know you'll be thrilled with your new camera. I DO have the Tamron 200-500 lens, and I love it in spite of it's mediocre reviews. I haven't had any issues at all with it. Got it because I couldn't afford to spend 4000 to 9000 for a Nikon. Seriously, who CAN afford that? You go with what's comfortable and affordable for you. I have broad shoulders.....
    I hear you---the 2.8 I "want" is about $2500. Sigh. I asked a semi-professional friend of mine (our former pastor in St. Louis) about the four lenses I was considering. He bought the 200-500 and sent it back, as well as two others he tried. He said that while it was potentially good, he's had quality consistency issues with the Sigma and Tamron brands, so you might get a great one, and then the next person that buys it, it might be off somehow. I picked the L series because he and a few other friends recommended it, and today I was able to get one on eBay for less than the Tamron 200-500 goes for new. So I am happy with my choice! I can't wait to get the camera . . . **doing the happy dance**.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

Well, wiggle a little for me!! I'm happy for you, too!! Can't wait to see your photos with your new rig!!

Sarah, good to hear about your new camera and lens-can't wait to see pics, I am a Canon girl since, well, forever! My first 35mm was a Canon AE1, I think, the same as my dad's. Before I bought the one I have now, I did do the hand hold test and still found the Canon the most familiar!
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

Sarah I've been following this discussion with interest as I'm in the spot you were. Do I upgrade my Sony or start again with a canon or nikon and start again with lenses. Gaaaah. Do keep us updated when you get your camera as I'm interested to hear how you go with a new system.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Quote Originally Posted by carollee View Post
    Sarah I've been following this discussion with interest as I'm in the spot you were. Do I upgrade my Sony or start again with a canon or nikon and start again with lenses. Gaaaah. Do keep us updated when you get your camera as I'm interested to hear how you go with a new system.
    Carol, I'm going to PM you.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

I currently have a Canon 40D, but the 7D is on my list to purchase within the next year. You can buy the L lenses (highest end canon lenses) but there are actually some really good lenses out there for lower prices. I love my Canon 60 mm macro lens. the 100 macro lens also has a big following. I also have a 75200 mm L telephoto which a great lens. (pricy though!)

7. Sorry to hear of your loss and it must be nice to know someone you loved, loved you just as much!

You probably bought your new camera already but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in about the sony's.. I bought my Sony DSLR A-100 in 2007, imagine my excitement and pleasure when I saw the photos it took. It only lasted 4 years.. Took good care of it too. Spent close to $1,000 on it and was sooo disappointed when it quit working, the whole thing went black. Was praying it was the battery but I guess I'm not that lucky. Now I'm back to a point and shoot. And I just can't see spending that much money on another camera that may last only 4 years...{sigh}

I suggest everyone research about their camera's before buying something so expensive. I really thought my camera would last longer for that price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12