Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera left out in the torrential rain...

Camera left out in the torrential rain...

Should I panic?!
    Is there anything specific I should do to test it or dry it out?
    See, I was multitasking and just put the camera down for a minute and then my DH arrived home and we had to quickly get a few things in out of the rain... but I forgot the camera!
    It was in the rain for about half an hour. haven't turned it on yet. Should I do anything to make sure it is OK first? It is SO hot and humid here. I feel like I'm in the tropics! Aggh!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

OMG! I am so sorry to hear. I would let it dry out as much as possible before even trying it out. I hear about photographers saying not to be afraid of taking photos in the elements - so I will keep my fingers crossed.
    -Joanie
    Gear: Nikon D800, 50mm f/1.4G, Canon 5D / EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF
    EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon G10, Wacom Graphire
    Software: CS3, Noiseware

OMG Esther, OMG OMG. I'd panic, cry, scream and then be rational and wait until all these good people come in with their good advice. Obviously I am not good in a crisis.
    Carol

My Gallery
    My Blog

Camera : Canon 60D and Sony a300
    Softwear : Photoshop Creative Cloud
    Fun Stuff : Wacom Bamboo

Ok, this may sound weird but I left mine out in the pouring rain once too.. and here's how i got it to work properly again:

most important thing is to NOT TURN IT ON!

1. Take out your battery pack and memorycard
    2. turn on your oven at a warm but not hot temperature (think daytime in the desert)
    3. put the camera in the oven (yes i'm serious) for about 15-20 mins.
    4. take it out and let it cool off for another 15 mins.
    5. Get yourself some of those small silica filled bags (they come with most electronic purchases I think) these soak up moisture like crazy!. Put your camera along with as many of these bags as you can fit into a ziplock bag
    6. Let it stand like that for 2-3 days

After I did this my camera worked fine again, but I was so anxious about the oven thing.
    Got this tip from my local photography store to try before they denounced it "dead".

Hope you get it to work!!
    My name is Krysta, and I'm a switcher.. finally on a MAC!

Thanks Krysta! Gosh, that oven solution sounds a bit drastic! It is evening now but still 30 degrees C (85F) and so, so humid. I took the lens off. Should I leave the body cap on (is that what it's called?!).
    Any suggestions where I can get silica filled bags - without going out and buying lots of electronic appliances, shoes and burrito wraps?
    I do have a fruit dehydrator. Perhaps that would work...
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4

Esther, I think the supermarket sells things called "hippo" ? somethings. They are a tub of crystals to put in your cupboards to soak up moisture in the air and keep clothes and things from getting mouldy. That might help in place of the little baggey ones. Sorry I cant be more help with the name, but its something to do with hippos, has a picture of one (the animal) on it and is pink if I remember. Would be in the cleaning/laundry isles.

I'm so sorry about your camera. I would be a devestated pile of sobbing mess on the floor!!!
    Sam

empty out battery - prob the thing most likely to have died - take out card etc etc. leave all those slots open, dry it, dry it dry it. - dry heat is why some people say oven - and then see how it is...
    I've done this with one of the girls point n shoot... and it was fine. If I had done this with my camera tho... er.. I'd not be writing rational advice asking posts!!!!!!!
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

I'd be in a panic, too, Esther. I hope these suggestions do the trick for you and that your camera "gets well."
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

photo blink1_zps1b48dedb.gif DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

9. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions, but I hope it all works out okay!

10. Rice is another option for absorbing the moisture. Rice has rescued many cells phones that have gotten wet or dropped in water.

Whatever route you decide to try, let them sit for days longer. Err on the side of drying for much longer than you think. The goal is for it to be perfectly dry before testing them.

The key is not to turn them on until they are completely dried out. It's the moisture on the electronics that kills them.

I feel for you! Good luck! Let us know how it works out!

Kathleen

11. Oh, no, Esther!! I hope you get it dried out and it works! Crossing my fingers for you.
    ~Karen~

My gear: imac, CS5, Nikon D90, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8.

Oh my gosh... GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!! Sounds like valuable information from Krysta, Mel, & Sam.... I hope it works!

YIKES!! I sure hope that you can revive your camera!
    Jodi
    LOVES it here!

Camera: Canon 60d
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3

Crossing fingers for you... I would be a mess

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

Oh my! I'd be a total wreck I think! Sounds like you've got some great advice, hope everything works out okay.
    Wish I'd known this when DH left dropped his cell phone outside on a rainy day!
    Jane

Does your dehydrator have a temp control? Is so I'd use that as usually you have more control of these at lower temps than ovens.

Hope it all works out!
    Carolyn

Blog: House of Amson

My Camera: Nikon D300
    Lenses Include: Nikon 18-200, Nikon 50 mm 1.8 and 1.4, Tokina Macro 100mm 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (newest indulgence)

Goodness, Esther! That would be so upsetting! I think you've received some sound advice here. Let us know if your camera survives. Good luck and all the best!
    Kerry

Keep on the sunny side of life

Canon 5D Mark II
    Photoshop CS4

My Gallery

my flickr/

my website

the fruid dehydrator will definately work instead of the oven, probably even better in terms of getting it dried.

The hippo thing sam says will work instead of the silica packs aswell, they're called moisture munchers around here.
    My name is Krysta, and I'm a switcher.. finally on a MAC!

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I could just kick myself!! I'll let you know how I go in a few days.

I would be a basket case too! Dry, dry and dry more is all I can say. Boy I sure hope it's going to be okay!!!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

21. Sorry about this dilemma, Esther!! I'm hoping for the best! Sounds like you need lots of patience to wait it out to make sure everything is completely dry. Best of luck!
    Merrilee

I love Macs
    Adobe Creative Cloud:
    CS and Lightroom 5
    Bamboo Pen & Touch
    Sony A57

Quote Originally Posted by esther_a View Post
    I do have a fruit dehydrator. Perhaps that would work...

LOL! Desperate measures ...

OMG! I am so sorry. You must have felt sick when you realised it was out there. Hope it is OK

23. so sorry Esther. Hope it turns out ok! Let us know.

Well, geez... you sound so calm, cool and collected. I think I'd still be crying... I sure hope all the drying (and drying and more drying!) works out and it's OK. Crossing fingers... and toes... for ya!
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop/Lightroom Creative Cloud
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

I'm still assuming it is OK. It IS OK, isn't it?! Well, it is until I turn it on and find it isn't! So my camera has spent half an hour or so on my fruit dehydrator and is now in an icecream tub with a "hippo"! So I'll pull it out in a couple of days and I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, Esther, I am so sorry - what a disaster - good luck with all the drying out . . .
    Sharon

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

Can't wait to hear the outcome, I hope its great news!
    My Equipment: Nikon D90
    Lenses:Nikkor AF-S 50mm/1.4 G
    Nikkor AF-S 18-105 DX VR
    (soon) Nikkor AF-S 18-200 DX VR ll

I really hope it works, Esther!
    I know I would be a sobbing blob on the floor if it happened to me...
    Thess

My DD Gallery

A Holy Mess - My blog on life, digiscrapping and genealogy

My Cameras: Canon 50D and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40

29. I know many people who have dropped cellphones in water . . . put them in a bag filled with rice and it worked like a charm. I hope everything works out!
    Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

Ouch! I'm so sorry this happened, Esther! But I think the advice you already have, is what could save it. Dry before thinking about turning on. Great advice on the silica bags!
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast