Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fong's lightsphere!

Fong's lightsphere!

I ordered the cloud and the clear lightsphere at the Gary Fong store last week - they should be here Wednesday! I hope they help me with indoor photos - I need all the help I can get! I'll post a review once I try them out. I'm hoping to avoid studio lighting all together since that is something I'm not comfortable with at all. Anyone already have these and want to share their experience?
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography
    Camera: Nikon D800
    Lenses: 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-35 f/2.8, 28-300, 24-70mm f/2.8
    Extras: Speedlight SB-700, Alien Bee 800
    Software: Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4

i don't have one, but it's at the top of my growing list of photography supplies. let me know how you like it heidi, k?

I have the cloud version Heidi and I absolutely, positively LOVE what it does for my indoor photos with flash....BUT, I also love what it does as fill flash outside!

When you get it, it will be accompanied by a DVD full of tips and techniques from Gary Fong himself....very informative.

Don't put it on and point it towards the subject inside...for inside work you want to bounce it off the ceiling. But when using it outside for fill flash point it directly at the subject.

Seriously...I LOVE this gizmo! My son bought mine for me for Christmas and I'm still amazed every time I see what a difference it makes with my external flash unit.
    Pattie

Software: Photoshop CS5 - Photoshop Elements 10 - Adobe Lightroom 3

Gear: Canon30D with 50mm 1.4 and IS 28-135mm lenses - Canon Digital Elph DD1000

Visit My Gallery -- My Blog

Great tip, Pattie! I can't wait to try it out. I have read great things about it so I am hopeful it will help me with my photos.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

5. Quote Originally Posted by Julie Ann Shahin View Post
    I guess this goes on my wishlist!
    No doubt! I have no idea what this thing is, but I'll be looking into it.

btw, I'm sure you're all aware of this product, but I forked out some serious dough for the 3-pack of Photoshop plug-in filters from http://www.imagenomic.com/ I got all three of their products and they are BRILLIANT! They do so much for those "not so great" photos, and, Heidi, they are super for doing portrait retouching. Seriously, one click, you're done. And if your smart, you could probably do so much more with all the adjustment capabilities. (I'm just not that s-m-r-t.) lol
    Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

6. I have the clear lightsphere & I love it! I have a dark apartment & I hate the look of direct flash so I was unhappy with all of my snapshots of my baby doing everyday things. With the lightsphere I have been able to get shots that I otherwise could not. For those thinking about it - get it! For the price it is fantastic (although funny-looking).

oh no, it sounds brilliant! but i see you have to have a 'real' flash first. That one has been on my wishlist for a few years, but no one wants to shell out the cash to gift me with it! :P I can keep hoping though!!!

i definitely need this. hey cassie, i got the noise filter from imagenomic, and wow! it's amazing! i love how i can clean up grainy photos.

9. I need to buy noiseware! I have heard nothing but great things and the demo looks wonderful! I used to have Neat Image but I didn't transfer it over to the new computer so I need something new. Neat Image was ok but I think the noiseware plug-in gives a smoother outcome.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

10. Oooh.. on my list still!

Indoor/Studio.. (aarrggh) I did not want to do it... but living in Alaska, winters are so DARK and LONG.. that if I wanted any kind of business I would NEED to open up to the idea of indoor photography. But so far.. not bad, I still have ALOT to learn!!! (Where was this light sphere for this indoor wedding I did last month, I so needed it!) Definitely on my (long) list, let me know how you like it. Have a great day!!!

I have the cloud and used it to shoot the wedding I did and was very pleased with it as well as indoor night photos. But I've also been experimenting a bit with just bouncing the flash and tend to like the catch lights I get better with the straight bounce.... but it's not near as consistent as using the Lightsphere. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. It is a goofy looking thing though... LOL

12. Kim, do you mind talking about how you set your flash up? I am usually at a complete loss for what to do in low light situations. My light meter doesn't help because it shows I'm going to be underexposed, but the flash fixes that. I'm just never sure how to set the camera so I guess and just look at how it looks on the LCD and adjust based on that and the histogram. Any wisdom on the technical way to use a flash? I still haven't played with the lightspheres - too busy with going back to work this week. Maybe tomorrow I'll get them out and play.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

This sounds interesting, but can someone tell me why to choose this over a regular external flash?
    Karen
    My blog

14. It's a diffuser so you use it with your external flash unit. If you google Gary Fong and lightsphere you'll find the site. He has some video and photo examples of with/without the lightsphere. It basically softens and diffuses your flash - so you don't replace your flash with it.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

I've got the clear and just love my "Tupperware" .. My family just laugh when I get it out though... and you really can't blend into the crowd when using it... something I really prefer to do. But who cares, the quality of my shots has really improved

16. LOL...I agree...I have both of them, too and have just started playing with them. Great results so far, but I feel rather silly with it on my flash

17. Quote Originally Posted by SAHMom View Post
    I have the cloud and used it to shoot the wedding I did and was very pleased with it as well as indoor night photos. But I've also been experimenting a bit with just bouncing the flash and tend to like the catch lights I get better with the straight bounce.... but it's not near as consistent as using the Lightsphere. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. It is a goofy looking thing though... LOL
    Kim, do you think this is because you have the cloud vs. the clear lightsphere?

I'm contemplating getting this doo-dad, but I'm wondering if I need both. If I only get one, which should I get first?

C'mon ladies . . . spend my husband's hard-earned money . . . lol
    Cassie

Cassie, somewhere on Fong's website (or maybe it was on the disk that came with my Lightsphere) he suggests getting the cloud first. If you poke about his website there is a page somewhere that compares the two. Go ahead....spend that money...then you too can look like an alien when you're shooting photos. You should SEE the looks the kids give me at school when I pop into a room with that puppy on my 430 Speedlite!
    Pattie

Ok, I'm almost convinced that I "NEED" this, it's in my cart...convince me to push the buy button!

Did you get yours and have you had time to play with them, Heidi?
    Jodi
    LOVES it here!

Camera: Canon 60d
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3

Need it? Heck, you DESERVE it Jodi...after all you do have something to celebrate this week right?!?!? (Let me know if you are in further need of enabling O.K.?) Seriously, I am in love with mine...check out the photo of my son with one of my sister's pups that I just posted on my blog. I used the Lightsphere with my flash in that one and I think it is a good demostration of how it softens the flash.
    Pattie

21. I just posted a layout from a photo that I snapped tonight using Gary's cloud dome. A totally dark room except for one lamp and a TV. We have vaulted ceilings in our room and I pointed the flash straight up. I like how it eliminates shadows, lights the back a bit but still puts soft lights on the face!

ALSO, Jodi if you haven't bought the kit yet, PM me and I'll send you a code that I just was sent by Gary to get all both domes and all accessories for a really good price. I was sent the email two days after I paid full price for everything...grrrr.

22. I got that email too and I was so irritated! I haven't played much yet Jodi, but I can tell I'm going to love them. I think I'll use the cloud most, Cassie. Give them a buy!
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

23. tnkbuzan - I just saw your wonderful photo of your son with the cloud - wow! I am not getting such excellent results in a dark room with mine - do you use any particular settings for your camera and/or flash? I have the clear & would also like to hear the difference from those who have both. Thanks!

24. I was actually standing pretty close to him with the cloud diffuser on. I just used A/priority with all regular settings...didn't even spot meter on his face like I usually do when I shoot portraits. I'm going to play with it a bunch more this weekend and see what kind of results that I get. I can post some with and without diffuser shots to see the differences. I'd love to see what other people are getting using this

Ok - you guys are such enablers....

I figured I **need** this too....
    My dh is addicted to his flash, but I haven't liked how the pics turned out... maybe this will help and not make me cringe evertime he puts the flash on the camera! lol!!!
    Kari
    DD Gallery ~ Blog and stuff

My Gear: Canon Rebel XT
    Software: PSCS4, Lightroom 2
    PC Girl now using a Mac Book Pro

26. Thanks to Kim, for sharing the info about the combo savings on the site. His email says it's only available from the link in the message, but that's just a marketing ploy. If you go to his site, on the menu on the left, theres a link to "Great Combo Deals." You can get the special price there and then enter "February" in your discount code at checkout to get an additional 10%. This lasts until the end of the month. I just bought the Lightsphere Pro package and w/shipping it cost $124. Here's hoping all use the things
    Cassie

Thanks sooo much ladies for encouraging me to get the Lightsphere!! I got the clear and the cloud this afternoon, and I already can tell you that I looooove them!!! Thanks for enabling me!
    Jodi
    LOVES it here!

Camera: Canon 60d
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3

28. Any time Jodi, any time...

Anyone want to share how to set the speedlight? I played around the other day until I was able to get catchlights again. I guess I initially had it turned up too bright and was getting the flash pinpoints that I hate so I turned it "down" until I saw window catchlights in my daughter's eyes (I used the cloud Fong for my latest layout's picture) but it was total trial and error with no real understanding of what I was doing or supposed to do. I'm not sure how to use the speedlight to augment my natural lighting situations or as fill flash outdoors.

Pattie - I think you were the one who had that stunning photo recently, weren't you? Share your secrets!
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

29. Yes, it was you Pattie - the boy with his pup. That photo is amazing and I would never have guessed you used a flash. How low did you go? How do you know what to set your camera on since your light meter won't account for the flash? I'm totally confused about that!
    Last edited by HeidiKnight; 03-02-2007 at 06:07 PM.
    Heidi

My Gallery

Heidi Knight Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast