Thread: color space question

color space question

Since I've started editing photos on my iMac, I noticed that when I export RAW files from Lightroom to PS CS4, they look somewhat desaturated. I have no idea why. Both are set to the sRGB space. Any ideas?

2. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with 32-bit vs 64-bit. I could be wrong, but I'd research that angle.

ETA: After reading the two posts below . . .

Are you using "Export" or "Edit In"? I use export, but I made a User Preset for exporting to PS. The File Settings in that dialog box let you choose the color space for export. HTH.
    Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

Myra, are you exporting or choosing Edit In?

I have the best success using Edit In to move from LR to CS4

RandyP Guest
    One thing that I do is match my camera to photoshop to my monitor with the same color space (Adobe RGB) and don't have any issues.

ETA: I'm running 64bit (PC Windows 7) laptop and 32bit (PC Windows 7) desktop and don't have issues on either.

I always use "Edit in"... I don't *think* I've had any issues with photos looking desaturated, but then - I use a lot of BW photos, so it could be hard to tell.
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

6. Not to highjack you Myra but I'm confused about the color space to begin with. When you create a layout in Photoshop what color space should we be in?

Saving this thread for when I start using RAW. Thank you!

RandyP Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanah-rhymes with Donna View Post
    Not to highjack you Myra but I'm confused about the color space to begin with. When you create a layout in Photoshop what color space should we be in?

You really should be using Adobe RGB (camera, Photoshop, Monitor). The older color space of sRGB is still used by some external printing companies and if sending your stuff out to be printed might need to be set as that.

8. Thanks so much Randy!!!! Off to check what I'm on....and fix it I'm sure!

I've been exporting, not "edit in." Does it make that much difference Katrina?

10. If you "Edit In" it will bring a psd version of the edited file into LR (you'll now have two versions). If you export, it's just going to go into PS for you to do with as you please, but nothing new will happen in LR. It will, however, have a copy of the file somewhere on your HD (it asks you where to put it when you export).
    Cassie

My Gear: Nikon D300s w/18-200mm VR & 50mm 1.4
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4, PSE 10, Lightroom 2

Quote Originally Posted by Shanah-rhymes with Donna View Post
    Not to highjack you Myra but I'm confused about the color space to begin with. When you create a layout in Photoshop what color space should we be in?

I use Adobe RGB when I create my pages, but when I send off to printing, I mostly convert to sRGB because of what Randy said. Also, the "Save for web and devices" in Photoshop converts to sRGB, because on the web, colors will dull if in sRGB. Which means that you should create the .psds in Adobe RGB, but convert to sRGB when you want to show them in the gallery here. If there hasn't been some new standard lately.
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8

Here is the best explanation I've found of Adobe RGB and sRGB. I reference it every time my head gets muddled about it

Getting Great Prints sRGB vs Adobe RGB

13. Thank you Katrina...much appreciated...off to read!

So I understand what I'm reading (and have read some on this topic before). I've changed my color space to Adobe and ProPhoto and no matter what the setting in Photoshop, but color is bland. This is true only in my new iMac, not my notebook. Is this crazy? I can't figure out what settings are different.

Myra, is it the same problem in print as well? Do you have it set to 8-bit or 16-bit color space in Lightroom?
    -anx -

My Gallery

Wow, now I am even more confused LOL.
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

RandyP Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by anke View Post
    Wow, now I am even more confused LOL.
    Just make sure that your camera, photoshop (Lightroom, etc), and monitor all have the same color space regardless if you use sRGB or Adobe RGB and all will be good. I also color calibrate my monitor every 3 weeks with x-rite to make sure that the color is true.

My laptop's color is set to LCD and when I try to change it to RGB or anything else, most of the colors turn blue, so left it on the default....
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

This is silly - but somehow CS4 was set to desaturate the monitor by 19%. Unchecking that box made it match. I'll play with my prints again, but I think all is well.

Meanwhile, thanks everyone for the extra help in color space. I needed to revisit that again!