Thread: Another Raw question

1. Another Raw question

What do you do about storage and backing up? Do you keep all your raw files? Do you convert and delete ? I've been shooting in raw for a year and getting frustrated trying to keep up with all the backing up. (Trying to back up my new computer and EHD with an on-line back up service and it's taking foooreeeeeveeeer.) I'm seriously thinking about going back to jpeg for everyday stuff. I'd appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts. Thanks!
    ~Karen~

My gear: imac, CS5, Nikon D90, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8.

I keep them on an EHD. It is so cheap now that I don't mind having them. I upload all of my JPEG edited versions to Flickr (with a privacy setting) so that they are backed up three times essentially. I see your point though. I just can't go back to shooting Jpeg because of the post processing. I know I wouldn't be happy with my results. I tried Mozy and I was pulling out my hair waiting for the initial backup. I decided I like my method better and I still keep an EHD off site.

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

3. Maybe I should just get another EHD and save files to both. This seems like a loosing battle at the moment. I just have too much stuff, lol.
    ~Karen~

I keep my raw files in the folder with my jpegs; I organize photos by month, year, and event. So each folder doesn't get too cluttered and I can easily see if I've forgotten to process a raw file (if it doesn't have a matching jpeg with it).

As far as converting, I think Randy recommended converting to DNG as that is not a proprietary format, and he says to keep all three formats---raw, dng, and jpeg. It's a triple-whammy but it ensures that you always have your digital negative (dng), your proprietary digital negative (raw), and the processed file. Just yesterday I found an old raw file that I had horribly overprocessed, and I deleted the jpeg and processed it again. If I had deleted my raw file, I would have been stuck forever with that oveprocessed jpeg.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

RandyP Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dugarner View Post
    As far as converting, I think Randy recommended converting to DNG as that is not a proprietary format, and he says to keep all three formats---raw, dng, and jpeg. It's a triple-whammy but it ensures that you always have your digital negative (dng), your proprietary digital negative (raw), and the processed file. Just yesterday I found an old raw file that I had horribly overprocessed, and I deleted the jpeg and processed it again. If I had deleted my raw file, I would have been stuck forever with that oveprocessed jpeg.
    I keep my RAW, DNG's and JPG's BUT not every RAW gets a DNG. What I do is filter my keepers from the so-so's. Only the keepers are converted to DNG format. And among the DNG files only my 4 and 5 star pics get converted to JPG. So at the end of the day the ratio of JPG to RAW is very small.

I then move my RAW files to 3 different EHD's so my main computer still has plenty of room left.

And there have been plenty of times where I review my old RAW files and pull out ones that should have been converted and promoted to JPG.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
    I keep my RAW, DNG's and JPG's BUT not every RAW gets a DNG. What I do is filter my keepers from the so-so's. Only the keepers are converted to DNG format. And among the DNG files only my 4 and 5 star pics get converted to JPG. So at the end of the day the ratio of JPG to RAW is very small.

I then move my RAW files to 3 different EHD's so my main computer still has plenty of room left.

And there have been plenty of times where I review my old RAW files and pull out ones that should have been converted and promoted to JPG.
    Randy, thanks for the clarification! I did not mean to misquote---I couldn't remember the details. Before I bought my 1 TB EHD I was very reluctant to have duplicates or triplicates of my files. Now I should go back through my archives and do just that---get rid of the ones I don't need. I mostly have jpegs, but honestly, out of the 18,200 pictures I have on my computer, I bet at least 1/3 could be thrown away. I'm never sure how to choose what I keep. I'm always afraid I'll throw away "that picture."

And more so, I have problems deleting a raw file even if it's crappy, probably out of the feeling that it's like throwing away the film negative. Which doesn't correlate since I don't mind throwing away crappy jpegs that don't have a raw file.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

RandyP Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dugarner View Post
    And more so, I have problems deleting a raw file even if it's crappy, probably out of the feeling that it's like throwing away the film negative. Which doesn't correlate since I don't mind throwing away crappy jpegs that don't have a raw file.
    I never delete a RAW fille like I never got rid of negatives.

There is a store that I heard about the photographer that got the White House pic of Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski in the reception line. Every one else was shooting early digital and had thrown the pics away. One guy shot film and had those few images and was able to go back through them. In short, don't delete those unwanted RAW's as you'll never know when needed.

This topic was on my mind yesterday. I'm thinking of setting my camera to JPG plus RAW. This way my "every day" photos are already processed enough in camera....but the ones I want to mess with are in RAW. It take up more room on my cards but at least this way I don't have to mess with EACH and every photo...if I don't want to. Then I can do DNG to my top picks. I will still shoot client sessions and dedicated personal shoots in RAW.

Right now I'm only shooting RAW and I get frustrated that I have to process my daily everyday shot just to get the "dullness" out. I think adding the JPG will help with this. More space but less work. We'll see if it works out.
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

RandyP Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlite9711 View Post
    This topic was on my mind yesterday. I'm thinking of setting my camera to JPG plus RAW. This way my "every day" photos are already processed enough in camera....but the ones I want to mess with are in RAW. It take up more room on my cards but at least this way I don't have to mess with EACH and every photo...if I don't want to. Then I can do DNG to my top picks. I will still shoot client sessions and dedicated personal shoots in RAW.

Right now I'm only shooting RAW and I get frustrated that I have to process my daily everyday shot just to get the "dullness" out. I think adding the JPG will help with this. More space but less work. We'll see if it works out.
    You can batch process RAW to JPG in Photoshop and Lightroom if you want so no need to shoot in both.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Starlite9711 View Post

I was wondering about doing that too. My kids usually want the every day type stuff fast and they are always waiting on me to convert the files.
    ~Karen~

I have that EXACT same problem with my parents and in-laws....hopefully this helps
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

12. can point and shoots do RAW? I have a Canon PowerShot A1100

RandyP Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SammiesMommy View Post
    can point and shoots do RAW? I have a Canon PowerShot A1100
    Check your manual but most cannot yet.

Randy,
    Could you tell me the benefit or reason to save a file as a DNG? I'm trying to wrap my head around all this RAW-ness as I head in that direction.
    Mahalo!
    Carrie
    Canon Rebel XT, PS CS5, Lightroom

RandyP Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spikey27 View Post
    Randy,
    Could you tell me the benefit or reason to save a file as a DNG? I'm trying to wrap my head around all this RAW-ness as I head in that direction.
    Mahalo!
    The argument behind converting to DNG (Adobe universal standard) is that if a camera brand ever dies, Adobe's open DNG will still be there. I keep all my Nikon NEF (RAW files) anyway and only convert my keepers to DNG so I'm covered both ways.