Thread: 2011 Shooting in RAW

2011 Shooting in RAW

And I don't mean in the nude
    My only resolution for 2011 was to switch my camera setting to RAW.
    Complete at 9:45 EST.
    This may be the only year I've successfully completed a new year's resolution.

Happy New Year to everyone at DD.
    Gail

I've done that too and LOVE it. I convert all the files to .dng in Bridge. It's GREAT.

I do the same, dng files for me It's so nice to be able to manipulate the photos in raw
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

RandyP Guest
    Great move. You'll have so much flexability in RAW.

Gail, you'll love it. For almost a year I shot exclusively in RAW. Now I only shoot in RAW when I'm inside, at an event that won't be repeated (vacation, wedding, etc.), or when I'm fairly certain I can't dial in the right settings. I haven't been disappointed so far! But now that I have my new computer, I may shoot in RAW all the time. I was hindered by a SLLLOOOWWW processor on my old desktop.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

You'll love it. I have never looked back. And congrats on that resolution!!!

7. What is RAW? I've heard of it before, but I guess I'm just not getting the concept.
    Thanks

RAW is basically the digital version of a 35mm film negative.
    Here's a link at wikipedia with a good explanation.
    Raw image format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Gail

Hi Gail- I did the same thing you did today. And amazingly- the photo needed very little fixing after!!
    denise

Sony A100 DSLR 18-70mm / 1:4xmacro 100-300mm / 50mm 1.7 and 18-200mm lens
    Pentax W90 "indestructible" p&s
    PSE 6.0

Way to Go..I too took the plunge and converted to RAW thought it would be 90 / 10 at first but have surprised myself and am shooting totally in RAW... Now I got to figure what it actually means..Thanks Gail for the link supplied its been a brilliant help

11. Good on you! I have to do the same...!Thanks for the reminder! I'm sure you'll be thrilled. Always seemed funny that you shoot RAW after you learn a little..while it's always good to shoot RAW it's most important when you know little...not a lot!

Raw for me too. I switch back and I start running out of memory cards - gotta buy more.
    -Joanie
    Gear: Nikon D800, 50mm f/1.4G, Canon 5D / EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF
    EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon G10, Wacom Graphire
    Software: CS3, Noiseware

13. I started shooting in RAW back in December, got LR for Christmas and am loving it. I should have asked for more memory cards for Christmas....
    kelly
    Louisburg, KS

my blog

I started shooting RAW a little under 2 years ago. Wish I had understood it sooner, you end up with so much more flexibility. The memory card issue became a problem for me too, so much so that I ended up buying one of those mini-laptops to travel with so I could load pictures and clear the cards. The mini-laptop ended up being less expensive then constantly buying additional memory cards.
    My Dog's website: - Personal journal and advice from a hot dog

Camera: Canon 50D
    Software: Photoshop CS5

I love RAW too. It's allowed me to do some really creative things at times. But, is there a quick way in Bridge to create jpgs from all the RAW's? I have a folder worth of RAWs that I might want to get printed so I need to turn them to jpgs before I upload them to Shutterfly or wherever. I don't want to open/save them one at a time. I'm not sure what to ask for but is there a macro, or batch command or something that will do them all at once?...k

I had to cut back on what I shoot in RAW simply because I don't have a program to "view" them. It is a lot of hours to open each RAW file in PSE9 just to see if it is a keeper . For JPEGs, I view in Office Picture Manager first to weed out the no-so-good ones before I even think about using PSE9 for cropping/resizing/enhancing/etc. I'm still on the hunt for a RAW viewing program, so if anyone knows of a good program please let me know. PC and Windows Vista user. I love what I've gotten from RAW but it is way to time consuming with my current process/programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbe View Post
    I love RAW too. It's allowed me to do some really creative things at times. But, is there a quick way in Bridge to create jpgs from all the RAW's? I have a folder worth of RAWs that I might want to get printed so I need to turn them to jpgs before I upload them to Shutterfly or wherever. I don't want to open/save them one at a time. I'm not sure what to ask for but is there a macro, or batch command or something that will do them all at once?...k
    Gail

I don't know about bridge but I use PSE.. from the FILE tab choose Process Multiple files.. select your folder and you can either put the JPGs in the same folder or a different one.. down at the bottom of the screen it says 'Convert files to:' choose JPEG Max Quality and sit back and watch it convert them.. it doesn't touch the originals so they're still intact.. hth
    We do not remember days; we remember MOMENTS

My Gear:
    Nikon D50, Nikon D200, SB600, SB800,
    Nikkor F1.4 50mm, various zoom lenses
    PSE 8.0 for Mac and a wonderful 21.5 IMAC
    Wacom Intuos 4

OMG...Donna you're a genius! I selected my CR2's, clicked Tools/Photoshop/Image Processor. I'd looked at it before and just didn't see it or maybe didn't understand it at the time. Thank you!!

Glad you found it :-)
    We do not remember days; we remember MOMENTS

My Gear:
    Nikon D50, Nikon D200, SB600, SB800,
    Nikkor F1.4 50mm, various zoom lenses
    PSE 8.0 for Mac and a wonderful 21.5 IMAC
    Wacom Intuos 4