Thread: Raw versus JPEG

Angry Raw versus JPEG

As most of you know, my sons wedding was 2 days ago, and due to the weather had to divert the wedding from the beach to my house.. because of the rain, we had to put up blue waterproof sheeting (commonly known as a tarp) didnt really want to say that word, but there you go!! .. consequently, most of my pics have either a blue hue, or quite dark... I have tried my best to remove the color cast in PSE7, and lighten where I can, (which dont really do the photos justice). my question is... should I shoot in RAW or JPEG, what is the consensus.. please I need your help for future reference.. (a bit late I know)..

I did buy Katrinas 'Get me off Auto' earlier in the year, but havent had alot of time to really go through it... please guide me girls...

Janet

software: PSE10 / iMAC
    Camera: Nikon D90 Digital SLR. 35mm 18-105mm

RandyP Guest
    Yes, shoot in RAW. That will allow you to make much better corrections to the image as needed vs. if you shot in JPG. I always shoot in RAW for that very reason.

Correcting the white balance is much easier in RAW. What a bummer

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

do you have LR? or could you access it on a trial maybe? I find it much easier to alter colour casts in LR, even on Jpeg, altho everyone is right, RAW is super editable, jPeg not so much I'm afraid.
    read all about it!... -->http://britgirl.typepad.co.uk/
    My DD gallery!
    I use; CS6 and LR5 on my beloved iMac!
    I'm a Canon girl I have a 5D MRK II.

Oh dear! A true-blue Aussie wedding with a tarp!! Yes, raw is the go. I had similar trouble recently with photos I took of birds in a nest. The leaves above cast a green light that was very difficult to remove.
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Thank you all.... I've changed my camera settings already... seems RAW is the go... pity I didnt realise this before the wedding....

You will love shooting in RAW!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

raw is the way to go unless you are sure that each shot you take is going to be a winner You can really work with your photos in raw, light and everything else, I love it!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

and NO Mel, unfortunately I dont have lightroom... Im finding fiddling about with my photos a bit over the top as it is at the moment.. let alone using another product... Thanks again ladies, (oops, sorry Randy ) I just knew you'd all come through..