Thread: Canon Lens?

Canon Lens?

My DH for my 40th bday last year told me to go buy that lens I've been wanting (70-200mm f2.8 IS). Well, of course, I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money. So for Christmas this year, he went and did research and then purchased a 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS lens for me. So sweet, I know.

So my question is do I want that lens or do I want to exchange for the other one??? My kids are 5 and 8. They are typical kids with their activities. My DH would not be upset either way.

Personally I would get the 2.8 lense.. especially if they're in sports you'll need that fast lense.. but what a great hubby to buy you such a great gift :-)
    We do not remember days; we remember MOMENTS

My Gear:
    Nikon D50, Nikon D200, SB600, SB800,
    Nikkor F1.4 50mm, various zoom lenses
    PSE 8.0 for Mac and a wonderful 21.5 IMAC
    Wacom Intuos 4

RandyP Guest
    If you're looking for a long lens, go with the 70-200 f2.8 for the lower light capability and better quality glass. Do you have the 24-70mm f2.8 yet? That is my main goto lens and is a fantastic piece of glass (Nikon or Canon).

The zoom on the lens your hubby bought is great! I'd love being that 'close' to the action! And, whilst I'm so NOT the lens expert, I would think the f4.5 will be just fine in the daytime/with good lighting.

That said, since I shoot sports (my DD is 17 and plays soccer year-round... the 'big girls' are fast! LOL) I NEED the 2.8... like Donna and Randy said, this lens is fast and clear and so, so worth it! Especially shooting nighttime soccer games!
    Debi

My DD Gallery: beehive50
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop Elements 10
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
    Do you have the 24-70mm f2.8 yet? That is my main goto lens and is a fantastic piece of glass (Nikon or Canon).
    Nope, not yet. Actually you put a list of your favorite lenses on another thread here a while back. I just printed the list. (I'm going to give a copy to DH so should the urge to buy another lens hit him, he has the sizes. )

Thanks everyone for your input. That's what I thought, but I needed justification.

6. Sorry I'm late to this thread. When I started buying new lenses I listened to what Randy said and bought the 24-70mm 2.8. It's totally fantastic and is my go to lens.
    Give that hubby of yours a big cuddle for being so generous..isn't it great that they support this passion of yours!?!