Thread: i need a geek!

1. i need a geek!

this are probably the dumbest questions ever, but, hey. i'm not too proud to admit i have no idea what i'm doing. my new computer has Windows 7.

first question: is there ANY way to make the windows that open stay the size you make them for the NEXT time you open them? my windows just pick these random sizes to be and it drives me nuts.

second question: in XP i used to be able to transfer files easily. i would right click on something, then, of my choices on the left side of the window would be a "move this file" or "copy this file" option, which allowed me to choose all sorts of places and folders, that's how i would move my digi supplies around among various folders. those options aren't there in Windows 7, or if they are, i haven't found them yet. so, i've been opening a whole other window and dragging and dropping what i want to move where i want to move it. SURELY this can't be the way they made Windows 7 work. could it?? i find the brains of Microsoft software engineers downright abstruce. thanks for any insight you might be able to supply.
    Whatnext

my gallery

Hi Phylis, I think I know how you can make the size you want. But I don't know if I can explain it in english. I have a dutch version of Windows 7. I will try and do my best.

In my browser I select (left above in browser) Organize, then scroll to Map and search options then I go to the second tab and klik on Apply to all maps (I don't know if that is the perfect translation).

Hope this will help.

In my windows 7 I can still right click on the file and get the options you mentioned above. So I don't know why it isn't working for you....

Good luck.
    Monique

Phylis I'm guessing this is a new computer? Did you setup your mouse to be able to use the right button? I'm not familiar with Windows 7 but I'm pretty sure you need to do the mouse setup still. HTH. Donna
    We do not remember days; we remember MOMENTS

My Gear:
    Nikon D50, Nikon D200, SB600, SB800,
    Nikkor F1.4 50mm, various zoom lenses
    PSE 8.0 for Mac and a wonderful 21.5 IMAC
    Wacom Intuos 4

The translation was almost right, Monique

Make the explorer window the size you want it.
    Go to Organize -> Folder and Search options -> View (second tab)
    Then click on "Apply to Folders" under the Folder views table.

But were you talking about explorer windows only, or the windows of all programs?

I also have copy and paste as options when I right click. Do you have any options at all when you right click? That might help us sort this out.
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

5. i can copy and paste, but in XP, when you right clicked, you had a straigtforward choice that would appear on the left of the page that was just "move this file."

thanks for the window sizing info. i'm going to do that ASAP!
    Whatnext

my gallery

6. um....i have no "organize" to choose from! is that possible??
    Whatnext

my gallery

should have gone for the Mac Just saying...
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

The organize thing is in the "explorer" window. Not in all windows... I'm not sure why this isn't working for you. And as for the copy paste thing, I don't think I understand what you mean. Sorry... Need more input.
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8

9. oh, well.i give up. i looked everywhere for anything like "organize," and I couldn't find anything that would even get me to step 1, because there was no "Organize!" there's a thing in Control Panel called "Folder Options," but there's nothing in there dealing with maintaining the size of a window.
    Whatnext

my gallery

10. Sounds frustrating, Phylis! I'm going to keep XP forever!
    Francine

My Gallery

Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5
    Gear: Nikon D50 w/28-80 mm, 70-300 Tamron lenses
    Lightroom 3

11. yay! I found it!! "organize" is there when you're looking at one of your drives of the computer. i opened up my EHD to look for something, and there was "organize" up in the upper left hand corner. that choice isn't there if i'm in the Internet Explorer window.

whew. thanks for the help, ladies.
    Whatnext

my gallery

Thanks for the info!!! I was also frustrated that I had to enlarge my previews every time I opened a new file.

Phylis, I am having the same problem with moving files. I seem to have to drag and drop now which isn't always accurate!! When I right click on a file, I can click on "send to", but the only options are to send it to my ehd or my dvd drive, or my desktop...etc. I can't pick a specific folder on my ehd to send it to. Like Phylis, I use to be able to specify a folder. I miss that option. Drag and drop takes longer.
    Angie

My Gallery at DD
    My Blog

My Gear: Nikon D800 and D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 105mm, 70-300mm, 70-200mm 2.8
    Software: Adobe PSCS5, Adobe Lightroom 4

13. oh, Angie. THANK YOU!! i thought i was nuts! and it turns out that MICROSOFT is nuts!! what are earth were they thinking to get rid of the option to move things around easily??
    Whatnext

my gallery

Which version of Windows 7 are you running? I have those options in my Windows 7 (Professional).
    -anx -

My Gallery

15. i'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. Premium. harumphff!
    Whatnext

my gallery

I have no idea which one we have. I'll have to check with my tech guy/hubby. LOL

This really bums me out because overall I am REALLY impressed with Windows 7.
    Angie

My Gallery at DD
    My Blog

My Gear: Nikon D800 and D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 105mm, 70-300mm, 70-200mm 2.8
    Software: Adobe PSCS5, Adobe Lightroom 4

I hadn't read through this after Phylis's 1st post because Windows 7 does not enter into our lives or homes. But I cam back and read thru...just in case I was missing something, kwim?

I just have to ditto what Anke said...

(I love drag and drop. Just use the cntrl(cmd)/shift keys to select what you want to move. Hey presto!)
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5