Thread: GeoCaching

1. GeoCaching

This summer several mothers and I plan on doing enrichment projects for our girls to learn new things. One area I'm interested on learning and passing it onto the girls is geocaching. Has anyone ever participated in this? It sounds like a lot of fun. Even when we go on vacations we could participate. Tell me your experiences and recommendations please. I'm all ears!
    Kris

My Camera: Canon 50D, 50 mm 1.8, 18-55mm, 75-300mm and Canon 18-200mm EF-S IS Lens
    My Software: PSP X & PSCS2

We do it quite a bit in the summer. My boys LOVE it. It's fun, adventurous and gets them outdoors. We try to stick to caches in the parks around our home -- which all entail a mountain hike. I know my sister has tried a couple in Florida, but one was in a grocery store parking lot! LOL! Just depends on what you prefer. Last summer we planned to start our own cache but never got around to it. Maybe this year! Have you signed up at geocaching.com? Put in your zip code and you can search all the local caches near you and read people's ratings and what's in them. Sometimes it's just a sign-in log and my kids always want to find the ones with 'treasure'.
    ~Stacy

My Gallery

3. Yes Stacy I did find geocaching.com and signed up too. I also downloaded the app to my itouch. I found 3 caches within a 1 1/2 miles from our home! I wish I had an iphone to use the app when out in the wilds. That way we wouldn't need to purchase a GPS system. I'm guessing you have a GPS. What brand would you recommend? Do you collect the "coins" and such? There is suppose to be a huge GeoFest nearby next month. I want to learn a little more before just jumping into this. But it sounds like a blast!
    Kris

My Camera: Canon 50D, 50 mm 1.8, 18-55mm, 75-300mm and Canon 18-200mm EF-S IS Lens

I think my GPS is a Garmin. I got it at Walmart but can't remember how much it cost. It's been worth it though. We don't collect coins, but we have tried to move 'travel bugs' and things like that. I think the best way to get into it is just look for a couple caches and go find them -- don't forget to take little trinkets to leave in them too (most things are just used little odds and ends -- it's really more about the excitement of finding them). Tell your kids to search around the house for small items they'd like to 'trade' -- things like mini action figures, dice, buttons, collector cards, etc. And a pen or pencil -- sometimes the cache won't have one or it's broken or out of ink. Then make sure you log into the site after and just post what you found and what you left or some comments about your experience.

Last year I found a paperback book cache and a dvd cache -- both of those were fun! They will say what types of things are in them on the website so you'll know what to have for exchange.
    ~Stacy

My Gallery

wow, there are actually a few in our area, I had never heard about this. That might be fun in the summer....
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

We go geocaching! Usually when we go on a trip we will get some caches. It's a great excuse for a hike or just a way to visit somewhere. We've found them on college campus', parking lots, intersections, hikes, beaches, city parks and foreign countries. Truly, they are everywhere! We like to sneak in caches when we have some time to "kill." My daughter plays a lot of soccer so at her away games we'll download some local caches while she's warming up, find them and return for the start of the game.

For even more educational aspects there are puzzle caches where you have to solve a puzzle to get the coordinates. Or multi-stage where you have to find one cache, get the coordinates for the next caches, find the next cache and so on. There is one cache around here that they keep stocked with stuffed animals for kids when they find it! We don't collect coins but we do help caches that are traveling, i.e. travel bugs.

My husband is the techie expert. He learned that for some city caches you can find them just by putting the coordinates into google maps. Get the coordiantes off geocaching.com. My husband has an iphone and really you need a GPS even with an iphone for the ones out in the country and woods. It is much more accurate. He has a Garmin etrex Venture HC. It seems to do really well. I suggest trying some caches using google maps or borrow a GPS and see how much you like geocaching before investing in the GPS.

We started due to DH's parents who are big cachers. They are retired now and spend a some of their time together going for caches.

Unfortunately, my daughters are not big cachers. They whine but then they actually enjoy looking once we are there. But that's them. I took my daughter's Girl Scout troop caching and they all enjoyed it.

The dark side to it: it can be a real time killer looking for a caching, reading about it, etc.

Have fun!
    Denise Gormish
    Mom of Jackie (18) Jenny (15) and my English Cocker Spaniel 3-year-old Radiance Grand Prix RL1 AKC TD ASCA TD, i.e. Cody

My English Cocker Spaniels in my heart forever:
    Auld Sod Red Magic Merlin CGC CD OA OAJ OAC NJC (Merlin)
    Elan's Surprise Surprise CGC NA NAJ (Arthur)

This sounds fascinating! I'd heard of it before, but I love hearing more about it from you experienced DD cachers. We may have to try this!
    started paper scrapping: Oct '01
    started digi scrapping: Feb '09

my blog, resume, etc: Muse Flash
    my GALLERY HERE AT DESIGNER DIGITALS

Never heard of it, but it sounds like fun!

For those of you wanting visuals here's a few geocaching related layouts I've done:

Geocache
    Geocaching in Europe
    Family Outing
    Denise Gormish
    Mom of Jackie (18) Jenny (15) and my English Cocker Spaniel 3-year-old Radiance Grand Prix RL1 AKC TD ASCA TD, i.e. Cody

My English Cocker Spaniels in my heart forever:
    Auld Sod Red Magic Merlin CGC CD OA OAJ OAC NJC (Merlin)
    Elan's Surprise Surprise CGC NA NAJ (Arthur)

Have never heard of this!! Sounds like fun for a family thing to do!!

11. My father had a Garmin GPS that he never could figure out so he gave it to us! We went on our first cache last weekend and had a blast! I did download the Geogache App and found it helpful to upload the locations into our favorites. We didn't have to write anything down and could refer to the description often. Of course the compass does not work on the iTouch but the iPhone only. We plan on taking the GPS with us on vacation this summer to really explore the region further. I think this might become addicting!
    Kris

We have been doing this for about 4 years now and LOVE it! We do it on vacation as well. We have a Lowrance GPS. It's such a fun family activity to get everyone outside with a purpose. It is amazing how many geocaches there are in the world!

Letter boxing is very similar. done with stamps. Google it. Its been fun free entertainment for my family. And when we go on vacation, we look to see if there are any letterboxes, and it helps us explore the area in a different way.

I had never heard of this..but looked it up and there are some in this area. This sounds like a perfect family outing! Going to tell David ,my son, about this. It would be a great activity for the kids this summer!
    Vicki
    Peace..Love..Art

My Gallery

We have a GPS but I don't think you can enter coordinates, I'll have to check it out. I looked at the site and there are about 150 caches within 3 miles of my house! Wow! I had no idea it was so popular. One looks to be quite a challenge, since it's in a location along the riverbank and is frequently under water. I suspect it's in a tree or some type of elevated landscape that is sometimes submerged when the river gets high. I think when my son is just a little older this would be a fun thing to do on summer days when we're bored!
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

Sounds like fun and there were some in my area too, so it must be a city thing too!
    Valerie

Imagine the possibilities...and Happy, Happy, Happy!
    PSE12

This is a great activity for all ages. Be sure to check the level of difficulty and the terrain around the geocache before you set off for it. We once thought we were "right on top" of a cache location, only to realize it was straight down a steep wooded hill below us! Have fun!!
    mimimom87