Thread: studio lighting

studio lighting

could somebody point me to a basic light system that i could set up at home? kim b mentioned a soft box. which one? what should i expect to spend for a good one? any help would be appreciated!

Myra, I know less than nothing about setting up a home lighting system...but Holly McCaig was giving mad props to her Alien Bee setup in the Simple Scrapbooks private Board forums the other day. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.alienbees.com/
    Pattie

Software: Photoshop CS5 - Photoshop Elements 10 - Adobe Lightroom 3

Gear: Canon30D with 50mm 1.4 and IS 28-135mm lenses - Canon Digital Elph DD1000

Visit My Gallery -- My Blog

3. Myra, I've also heard really good things about the Alien Bee setup.

I got my Westcott softbox at our local photography store and it was around 200.00. I wish I would have spent a little more and got the more powerful one...the light in mine is a bit yellow and the more powerful ones have a more natural light.

I'll be interested in seeing what everyone else uses...I'd really like to add to my collection

hi there

I use the Bowens systmem . 2 studio lights 500w. a softbox on one and an umbrellla on another.

I have found www.bhphotovideo.com very reliable and good prices on all photo equipment.

I am not a great fan of studio lighting for chidren as I like the more natural candid photographs -and also becasue of the fact that the minute you try and get children to do certain things like sit still they change into monsters....lol

a good home setup without studio lights for those that don't want to spend money is as follows:

utilising your garage - as there is little distraction there and the light is good - put up a backdrop of an old sheet - plain sheeting any colour or a piece of material - against one of the side walls ( as near to the open door as you can) make sure it drapes on the floor as well.
    Set up a big piece of white cardboard, ceiling board, polystyrene board - anything that can be used as a reflector - 90 opposite the open door - to push light back into the subject. Then place your subject on the backdrop ( as far forward as possible to try and blur background) Shoot - remembering to fill your frame with the subject.

Many people's photos look so professional in this home setup they never go back to a studio.

I would love to see the results if you try this.

kim and sam, thanks for the info! sam, you're right about trying to get kids to pose - doesn't work.

i need to claim some ownership in the garage, and give it a try!

I don't have a garage, but I do have a couple of room that have a big window! I hung a black piece of material perpendicular to the window, and started taking pictures! No reflectors or anything else at all! This is what I ended up with:

7. Wow....those photos are AMAZING, KYLIE!!! Window lighting is the best

Wow, Kylie! i need to get a big piece of black fabric and a window! I want photos like yours!!!
    Lynn (also known as Lynnie!)

9. Kylie those pics are fantastic! I can't wait to try this at home!
    Jill

DD Gallery

Software: Photoshop Elements 6
    Camera: Canon Rebel XT
    Lenses: 50 mm 1.8, 18-55 mm, 75-300

BEAUTIFUL photos,Kylie!! Wish i had a big window
    Maybe i can borrow my mom's livingroom
    I definetly have to try it!

(BTW; What's "perpendicular"?)

well done Kylie --and look at those catchlights. Yip a window is the BEST light - The window being 90deg to the backdrop .

absolutely if you have a nice big window and a room with good light go for it ! Look at these Results. Kylie did you do this in to response of what I said or have you been doing this ? these are really great. Try a white backdrop as well.

sam

for those that are struggling to get what this setup looks like have a look here....

http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/...y&seed_id=8138

so this is in a garage but you can also do it indoor room or a porch. make sure your subject is as close to the window or opening for best light - you don't want to use your flash at all.

I tried this before Christmas - just trying to get a feel for it! I LOVE photography, can't learn enough - my goal this year is to build up some sort of portfolio, and take millions of pictures of giggly happy children

the more you take the better you'll get --it is about practice. But you have some SUPERB photos here so keep at it. It's more to do with the eye than most other things.....

Beautiful photos Kylie!!!!

Wow! What great shots you took, Kylie! And, Sam and Kim... thanks for all the info! I keep meaning to try an actual "shoot", but... ...these tips are inspiring me!
    Debi

My DD Gallery: From the Beehive
    My Camera: Canon 60D
    (Lens: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8)
    My Software: Photoshop Elements 10
    My Platform: Dell PC w/Wacom "Bamboo" Tablet

17. Sam, thanks for your thread from 2peas. I'm thrilled that I can do my own "shoot" with a window, sheet, and a big piece of foam core. Love it!
    Jill

DD Gallery

Software: Photoshop Elements 6
    Camera: Canon Rebel XT
    Lenses: 50 mm 1.8, 18-55 mm, 75-300

Wonderful photos, Kylie!!!

I've been waiting and waiting to try my hand at using good light through a big window with no flash to take some photos. I had my chance this morning with my littlest grandson while he was intent on eating his mac and cheese. I still have a ways to go but this is what I got. Regardless of the quality of the photos, he is a cutie, isn't he!

Lynn (also known as Lynnie!)

20. wow awesome photos..

Proud To Be

for my
    COOL CHICK

gorgeous lynnie!