Thread: Welcome!

Welcome!

What a great idea for a forum... so, as you come back from the holidays, what are you longing to learn? Did you get some new equipment that you'd love to master? Fire away, we're here to help!

Hi Jen! Just thought I'd pop in!!
    I got a 50mm fixed lens for my Rebel from my dad
    Hoping to get some more practice in on my "non-green-box" photography this year

Hey Miss Jen! This IS a great idea for a forum and I know that I myself have about 1,000 questions about things I'd love to learn. I'm looking forward to seeing a lively amount of conversation happening here.

I did indeed get some new equipment....and I'm in love with my Gary Fong Lightsphere attachment for my external flash! I love the way it softens the harsh shadows that I was experiencing with flash photography. Anybody else use a Lightsphere? Any tips to share?
    Pattie

Software: Photoshop CS5 - Photoshop Elements 10 - Adobe Lightroom 3

Gear: Canon30D with 50mm 1.4 and IS 28-135mm lenses - Canon Digital Elph DD1000

Visit My Gallery -- My Blog

Oh - how exciting! I didn't get a thing photography wise for Christmas, but I am sensing DH a wish list for when he comes through Singapore airport later this month!

I wouldn't mind some tips on lens choices. I have the 50mm 1.8 lens (canon), and am thinking about purchasing a wide-angle (Canon 10-22mm). I also wouldn't mind the 28-70mm f2.8 lens either! So many choices!

I'd love to be able to zoom in on a low light situation, which is why I thought the 28-70mm f2.8 would be handy - does anyone know of any other lens that could do the trick?

This is so great!!
    I really want to learn more about photography,and my Nikon d50.. Anyone else have that camera?
    And,Pattie..I need to learn more about that Lightsphere thing,it looks very interesting!! Do you think I can use it on my flash? I have a Sigma EF 500

Quote Originally Posted by sprellen View Post
    This is so great!!
    I really want to learn more about photography,and my Nikon d50.. Anyone else have that camera?
    And,Pattie..I need to learn more about that Lightsphere thing,it looks very interesting!! Do you think I can use it on my flash? I have a Sigma EF 500
    Yep....your flash is listed on Gary's chart!
    http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

It is really an amazing thing for a piece of plastic! I'm finding that I get my best results indoors by removing th dome and bouncing the flash off the ceiling...and outdoors I use the dome and point it directly at the subject for fill flash.

At any rate, check out Gary's website...there is a LOT of information along with some video tutorials on there.
    Pattie

Quote Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
    I'd love to be able to zoom in on a low light situation, which is why I thought the 28-70mm f2.8 would be handy - does anyone know of any other lens that could do the trick?
    Kylie...I don't know that you'll get much more zoom range from that lens than the kit lens provides already. My favorite is the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS The image stabilization feature of the lens allows me to stop down a bit more than a normal lens would...and I've been really pleased with the results I get in low light situations.
    Pattie

8. HOWDY girls!!
    So glad I saw this.
    I did get some camera goodies for Christmas *thanks santa*
    I was receiver of a new lens and a tripod! The lens is a 55-200mm wide angle zoom lens.
    COOL gadget, Pattie...I went to the site and will have to keep that in mind when I buy a flash!!

9. Happy New Year girls!!

Santa brought me a EF 75-300 mm lens by Canon. Time to confess though, I have a Canon XT Rebel but still only know how to point and shoot using the auto settings. ARGH. I've tried reading the manual, I have a book as well, but I am still in a fog about taking it to the next level. Does anyone have a baby step that I could try? Maybe a setting that I could experiment with? Sorry to be so basic in my request.
    Jill

DD Gallery

Software: Photoshop Elements 6
    Camera: Canon Rebel XT
    Lenses: 50 mm 1.8, 18-55 mm, 75-300

10. I think this will be fun...we can all learn together Thanks for starting this!!

Jill- put it on "P" mode instead of auto. This acts as full automatic, but lets you override any setting you like, and compensates for it. Then recruit a subject, and try shooting a simple portrait at several different apertures. This is the best way to get a feel for manual settings. Find some running water and play with different shutter speeds.

I confess, though, I almost never shoot on full manual- mostly I use P mode! If I need tight consistency across a number of shots, I will use aperture or shutter priority, or full manual.

I have two useful lenses- I've never liked the kit lens. I have the 50mm f1.8, which I use most of the time, and the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, which is very good too. I'd like to add another, I believe it's a 75-300 IS, but it's really, really expensive. I need to design a lot more kits to swing that one!

12. Thanks Jen! I love the water idea. Off I go . . . .
    Jill

DD Gallery

Software: Photoshop Elements 6
    Camera: Canon Rebel XT
    Lenses: 50 mm 1.8, 18-55 mm, 75-300

Someone read my mind!! I had been thinking how fun it would be to have a photography forum here! Yay!!

Pattie, LOVE the Lightsphere!! Such an odd looking thing (and I know I've gotten quite a few stares at it.. LOL) but sure does the job of diffusing!!

My fun photog Christmas gifts were a new 30mm 1.4... *sweet*! glorious! I needed something a little wider than my 50mm 1.8, and this is perfect.. with the added bonus of opening up a bit wider too!!
    One of my first images of a friend's son... taken after dark, in my living room using just the available light in the room:

Also got the Sekonic L358 exposure meter!!

What an amazing lens kim! that's a gorgeous photo. did you need a tripod? i have trouble with blur sometimes when i have my aperture wide open in the evening.

i got the expodisc for christmas, and i have to admit, i haven't played much yet. in theory it sounds easy, but i'm still figuring out how to use it with my olympus e-500. anyone?

also, does anyone have any input about buying a simple back drop kit and lighting? something that can come apart very easily? i don't have room for a studio.

i hope i haven't hijacked this thread. so excited to have a photography forum!

15. Myra, I invested in a soft box (in my garage) and some cheap sheets from target to use as a backdrop. The soft box gives really even lighting and great catch lights in the eyes!

Kim, your photo is awesome. I've been thinking about that lens too. I've been debating if it would really be that much better than the 1.8...can you tell much of a difference?

16. do tell Kim...I can't decide if I should keep my zoom lens or not. I was also looking into something more like yours...maybe I will exchange the zoom. That picture turned out STUNNING!!

*sigh* I can already tell that this forum is gonna be hard on the pocket book!!

Myra, no tripod (don't own one!). I think I must have pretty steady hands because that was wide open at 1.4 and my shutter was slow at 1/60 (that's about as low as I can go and end up with a couple without camera shake... LOL).

Kim, my big thing with deciding to get the lens was I needed a bit of a wider focal length. With the 50mm I sometimes found myself squishing up in a corner to get enough of the shot (my family room with the best light is fairly narrow of a room). I'm totally pleased with the focal length... I haven't used it enough to appreciate the extra half stop of aperature... but I'm quite certain I couldn't have gotten that shot with the 1.8 (but I also don't make it a common practice to do photos at that time... LOL).

Leora, it was an easy choice for me since I already had a nice zoom (18-200mm, pretty much all I need), but needed something for indoor low light situations. And yes, LOL, just when I think "I'm DONE!" purchasing, someone talks about another MUST HAVE! LOL

Oh, Myra, I have the portable back drop stand from Savage... I got it from B&H for right at $100 I believe. Very portable, comes with a nice bag, and solid enough to hold heavier backdrops. My favorite inexpensive backdrops are the Vellux blankets for JC Penny's... they are often clearanced out so a steal of a deal... lots of colors and no wrinkles!

18. This will be great, I really need help getting my camera off the auto mode..I have this mental block when it comes to what to do...I've read all the recommended books..but so far nothing sticks..lol.

Ellen...I have a D50 too.

Kim....gorgeous photo!!!
    Kathie

my gallery

Camera: Nikon D90, Nikon D50
    Lenses: Nikkor: 50 mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, Micro 60mm 2.8G ED, 18-200mm VR, SB-800
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS2
    Computer Platform: It may be a PC, but at least it's fast

my 2c worth for those that are on auto or P ! - if you took 100 photos of the same subject in the same light all 100 photos will be exactly the same. Where as if you learn about Aperture and Speed priority your 100 photos could be different cos you have the control.

You are letting the littlle man that built the camera choose the settings for you.

Best advice I will give is try and learn about "manual" settings - there's ONLY 2 things.... speed - amount of time the lense is open and aperture the size of the opening. the camera is kind to you ---choose one and the other one looks after the rest.

Lens advice -- I am have been in love with my 50mm 1.4 since I got it. then I would say get a 28-200 ( or 300 depending on the brand camera). these 2 lenses will make your photography a breeze.

20. I definitely have a thousands of questions here..I haven't saw this section before..ughh..lol
    *Yen*
    GALLERY

Camera: Nikon D80
    Software: CS2 and PI12

21. Ellen - I have a D50 too!!
    Like Yen, I just saw this section! LOL
    I'm slowly navigating my way around my camera and learning it
    -- Caroline

blog
    gallery

Nikon D50, Nikkor 50mm f1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, Nikkor 70-300mm f4-5.6
    Photoshop CS3