Thread: Aussie Newbie

Aussie Newbie

Hi girls. I found this site from following a link on a friends facebook page. I used to do a lot of scrapbooking before my kids were born, but in the 5 years since they were born I have done zilch scrapbooking. Digital scrapbooking really appeals to me and I have attempted it before (I've got as far as buying/downloading various programs, opening them and going um what now), but never really got far.

I have already purchased the Getting Started tutorial by Cassie Jones and done my first layout. Wow - before that I had no idea where to start, but that tutorial is brillant and really taught me a lot about Photoshop (I have CS4).

Now where to start - do I start when my babies were born (by the way you may tell from my user name I have twins) or do I work backwards?
    Julie
    DS - 6, DD - 6 (yep twins)

Gear - Canon EOS 500d with 50mm F1.8 IS, 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS lens
    Software - Photoshop CS4

Hi Julie,
    Lovely to see another Aussie here. There are quite a few of us. You have found the very best place in the digi world - AND you've started with very best thing which is one of Cassie's tutorials - are they fantastic or what?? My advice would be to just do the layouts that your heart tells you to. Go through your photos and pick out some that really speak to you or really hold a story that needs telling. Enjoy it, don't make it into a chore. Having said that, I have found that digi is so much more efficient than paper, so that sometimes I do have to go take photos to scrap! I never worry too much about being "caught up" - but I kinda am! Except for the discs of photos from my DD's wedding. Just can't really decide how I want to do those . . .
    Anyway - welcome! Ask lots of questions if you need to - people here are all very generous with their knowledge and skills!
    Sharon

Hi Julie..... Its Sam...

You have to be the Julie I know who has twin boy and girl 5yrs old and lives in Craignish ......

Just been to meet Oliver!

You have found my home and the place where I spend all my time on the net. If you want to learn, this is the best place around.

Dont miss the 2 25c items and new stuff on Sunday Mornings, and the 99c item and reductions on Thursdays. Also, Quarterly sale on the 20th - everything in the store marked down 30%.

So nice to have you here
    Sam

Welcome! Sounds like you're off to great start!
    Jodi
    LOVES it here!

Camera: Canon 60d
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3

Hi Julie!

Welcome to DD. Digital is great and I bet you will be addicted like all of us in no time!

And it's always great to see people from this side of the world here :-)

Welcome... so glad you found us =)

My personal opinion would be to work backwards. It is easier to do current things because they are fresh on your brain. You could also just set up "projects" Like their first year and so on.

I would suggest trying out templates to help you get caught up. They take the guess work out of it and make pages to much quicker!!!

Can't wait to see your beautiful twins in the gallery!

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

Welcome to DD -- you've found the best digital scrapbooking site on the net. I look forward to seeing your pages in the gallery.
    Linda

My gear: Nikon D700; 24-70mm 2.8; 70-200mm 2.8; 105mm 2.8; 50mm 1.4; 150-500mm 5-6.3
    My software: Photoshop CC on a PC; Lightroom 5.2; ACDSee 17

welcome, I'd go with now & forwards, and then if time backwards.

Welcome Julie! You are off to a great start with Cassie's tutorials and hanging out here... so much inspiration to be found in the gallery! I think Sharon's advice is great - just pull out the photos that speak to you, that inspire you, and go from there.
    My Gallery

My Blog: Feed Your Spirit

Cameras: Canon Rebel XS DSLR and Canon Power Shot SD900 Digital Elph point-n-shoot
    Software: PSE8 and Lightroom 2

Thanks all for the welcome.

Hi Sam - I hope you don't mind me joining up here.

With my kids starting school this year I told myself I needed to get into a routine - only working whilst they are at school and get back into my scrapbooking. I need to finish their baby albums and my wedding album (we were married in 2002).

Now where is all that rain they predicted for the weekend, so I can spend sometime in front of the computer.
    Julie

Software - Photoshop CS4

Julie, welcome!! I guess there aren't too many Julies with twins from Craignish. I'm going to have to look up that town on Google Earth!! Welcome. There are Aussies here from all the big states. Sharon, Sam and Jen have given you great advice. This is such a great place to hang out!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

I love that your here Julie!
    Sam

Esther - I doubt you'll find Craignish on Google Maps. It's actually a suburb of Hervey Bay.
    Julie

Software - Photoshop CS4

Julie you should do an AKA Card. Download the template from Here

Sam

I just found that this morning. Now to try and find a decent photo of me (think I might need to take one).

Thanks.
    Julie

Software - Photoshop CS4