Thread: Just the boost I needed - CZ started it!

Just the boost I needed - CZ started it!

Thank you all for the comments on this layout, me Today - Digital Scrapbooking Ideas - DesignerDigitals and of course to Cathy Zielske for her inspiration.

After I posted that layout, I went out to dinner with my old workmate Judy. She told me that while we had been away the new city Rec Center opened with a fabulous gym. Her husband and neighbor both joined, and the rates would be even lower for me since I was a resident of the city of Annapolis. ($180 for a year!!!)

I made my mind up, emailed dh, and went over Friday morning. I ended up seeing Judy's friend as I got the paperwork, talked to her, took a tour of the facility and got my first bio-metric id (fingerprint)! I went home, Dick arrived back from Atlanta, and even tho he wasn't interested ( ) I called and made an appnt with a fitness trainer, gulped my lunch and did my first hour of cardio/weight training. Yea me! I now have a plan laid out.

I went back last night and did another round. I'm sorry that Dick is not willing to join my - yet, I hope! - but maybe I can be the inspiration. I can only work on me. My next meeting with the trainer is on Friday.

I always say, if you put it out there to the universe, things fall into place in amazing ways.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

that is so awesome Maureen!! Congratulations!!!
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

So thrilled for you to start this journey! Scrapbooking can be the most amazing journey of self discovery. You never know the doors that might open. Congratulations!

Maureen, good for you!!

What a great plan... wonderful inspiration that you grabbed hold of. Hope it becomes a regular part of your life... 'tis for me... keeps the cobwebs out

Way to GO!!! You're hitting it with gusto. Dick will join you soon enough.
    Although I don't see a gym in my future, maybe I'll join you on the home route, I have an extra 80 lbs in the last 10 years of marriage and kids.

My mom has a friend who lives over by that new place. Is it the one near Spa Creek? In the dark I couldn't see where we were going. My mom said she was worried it was going to wind up a high-end facility that wasn't going to be much of a community center. (Though she has a membership at Big Vanilla, so it doesn't matter, but she has friends who wanted to join.) It looked very nice from what I could see on the outside.

Good for you! My hubby has good intentions of getting in the gym with me, but our schedules are just so hard to work with. You work on you, encourage him, but just worry about you for now. The better you feel, the more he might want to get in on the fun!
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

Yes, that's it Sarah. It will be interesting to see how it pans out across the community. I see a good mix right now and there are also scholarships available. I think there was a $10k donation for such.

Yes, clearing the cobwebs is a good way of putting it, cstaff! Letting go of what isn't needed is a way of discussing it in 'energy work' terms. I sure don't need some of what I'm carting around.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

9. Annapolis Info

For all of you Annapolis gals, I was wondering if you could give me some info. My son, is waiting on a job possibility in that area and we were looking at apts. online and they are quite expensive. (He is a recent college graduate). What areas in the outskirts from Annapolis might have more affordable housing?

Thanks.
    Kathleen

p.s. congrats Maureen on your new endeavor!
    Kathleen

also known as Katemac

Quote Originally Posted by kdif View Post
    For all of you Annapolis gals, I was wondering if you could give me some info. My son, is waiting on a job possibility in that area and we were looking at apts. online and they are quite expensive. (He is a recent college graduate). What areas in the outskirts from Annapolis might have more affordable housing?

Thanks.
    Kathleen

p.s. congrats Maureen on your new endeavor!
    Kathleen, that's my favorite place in the world! Maureen lives there, of course. I was born and raised there, my parents are still there.

It depends on where his job will be---downtown? Annapolis proper, or in one of the suburbs? Where he would work and commute time would make a huge impact on where he might want to look.

In general, moving north of Annapolis makes for "cheaper" living. My parents own a 2000 sq. ft (approx.) ranch-style home in Severna Park, about 9 miles north of Annapolis, and it would probably be appraised at about $350-$400,000.

Millersville/Severna Park/Severn/Glen Burnie are all places where rent gets cheaper than downtown.

If he's single and is amenable to a roommate, there are a lot of privately-owned places around town that might be affordable. I knew lots of college students who split rent on old homes in the historic section of the city.

If you would like more info, email me at sarah_m_garner (at) yahoo (dot) com and I'd be glad to help you brainstorm. I'm sure Maureen will have lots of good information, too.
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses

11. Thanks Sarah. I'll get the specifics from him and email you. How long does it take to commute between Annapolis and Baltimore? I realize that there is a huge difference depending on rush hour. He may be doing some driving with his job.

Kathleen
    Kathleen

also known as Katemac

How long does it take to commute between Annapolis and Baltimore?
    It depends on his starting and ending points. If you leave from Annapolis and drive to Baltimore and there are no traffic jams, you can get to the fringe of the city in about 30 minutes. It's a straight shot on I-97. Traffic can get heavy on 695/295 as you're going into the city, but I don't think it's that bad all the time. I'd say maybe 45 minutes if traffic is heavy or clogged.

That would be another reason to live in a suburb. Severna Park, where my parents are, is just about halfway between the two cities. It's closer to Annapolis but it is such an easy drive to either city. I can get from their house to Johns Hopkins, in downtown Baltimore, in 25 minutes. Glen Burnie is also between Baltimore and Annapolis. Glen Burnie would be about 25 minutes from Annapolis and maybe 20 from Baltimore, counting time to get to the interstate.

HTH!

Sarah
    Sarah

Way to go Maureen!
    My Gallery

My Blog: Feed Your Spirit

Cameras: Canon Rebel XS DSLR and Canon Power Shot SD900 Digital Elph point-n-shoot
    Software: PSE8 and Lightroom 2

Kathleen, this is an expensive area compared to a lot of the US so your observations were correct. There is a lot of waterfront and water = $$$

Sarah mentioned Severna Park and Glen Burnie. The former is more middle class/professional and the latter is more blue collar. That is an observation, not a judgement. One area that might be promising is the area around Ft. Meade/Arundel Mills. Since there is a major Dept of Defense move coming (due to BRAC shifts) there is a lot of housing that is being targeted to those who are moving into the area. The only caveat I have about that area is that slots have finally been approved for a site at Arundel Mills. I pray that it never happens but ...

Just a bit $$ info for the Annapolis area. There is virtually nothing ~100k; up to 200k you are looking at some iffy neighborhoods and or houses that have been trashed by owners who walked away from a mortgage and took their frustration out on the house; 300k is considered a starter home price. From there on up you have a lot of choices.

If schools are a consideration, then the Broadneck peninsula of Annapolis has one of the best systems in the county. In addition to normal housing & pricey waterfront, there are also a lot of townhouses. I have a friend who lives in BayHills and the house is really nice.

re the drive to Baltimore from Annapolis? I would say 30min if you're darn lucky, but more like 45 door to door. There is light rail from Glen Burnie and there are buses from the stadium in Annapolis.

hth, and I'd also suggest going on Realtor.com and putting in a zipcode. btw, Baltimore is a whole other story. While our property taxes are not low, the ones in Baltimore are sky high..and the services are ...uh..well you don't get what you pay for. The city really does have The Wire areas but it also has some wonderful nice areas. You really need to know the areas and talk to people who live in or near the city. Caveat emptor.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Thanks.
    Kathleen
    We are north of baltimore but still have property down in Ellicott City/Columbia. I would be careful where in Arundel Mills he looked. There was a lot of gang activity around the mall there and don't even go to that mall now because of the dangers in broad daylight. I'm sure there are pockets of good apartments and if the job comes thru I'd have him ask his co-workers where they recommend before he gets stuck in something that's not right! Wishing him the best!
    Find Me on Facebook

Way to go! Sometimes it's that first step that's the hardest.
    I wonder if you'd be interested in (if you haven't read it already) Sarah Ban Breathnach's book Simple Abundance: A daybook of comfort and joy. Your comment about the universe made me think of it.
    Camera: Canon powershot A530
    Software: Adobe photoshop 7.0

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it keeps the world together.

Thank you. I read Sarah's book years ago and enjoyed it a lot. I've gone thru it several times over the years. She's a Marylander too!
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

18. Thanks Sarah, Maureen and Katie for all of your input @ the area. I didn't understand at first what you all meant about Anne Arundel but after Katie's post I got it. Wow, good to know that stuff. He knew about the Ft. Meade thing coming and I think he was going to stay away from that area because of traffic, etc.

The area he hopes to be working is Crofton. I think he would like to be more in a city than out in the suburbs. He wants to rent an apartment, loft or garage apartment. It looks like a roommate is the way to go. Anyway, all of the info is very helpful. Thanks.

Kathleen
    Kathleen

also known as Katemac

19. Just reread the posts and saw you guys were mentioning Arundel Mills is that different from Anne Arundel? Do I have the places mixed up?
    Kathleen

also known as Katemac

Anne Arundel is a county in Maryland. Arundel Mills is an area within the county. Crofton isn't far from Bowie, a town to consider. And College Park, the home of University of Maryland, is only a 30 minute commute. HTH
    Find Me on Facebook

Thanks Sarah, Maureen and Katie for all of your input @ the area. I didn't understand at first what you all meant about Anne Arundel but after Katie's post I got it. Wow, good to know that stuff. He knew about the Ft. Meade thing coming and I think he was going to stay away from that area because of traffic, etc.

The area he hopes to be working is Crofton. I think he would like to be more in a city than out in the suburbs. He wants to rent an apartment, loft or garage apartment. It looks like a roommate is the way to go. Anyway, all of the info is very helpful. Thanks.

Kathleen
    Kathleen,

Arundel Mills is a big Mills mall out around the Hanover area. It's not the best part of town, but there are new pricey developments out that way, too. Hanover is near the airport, which is mostly industrial and working-class. Anne Arundel is the county all these places are in (except for Baltimore).

If he is hoping to work in Crofton, that's kind of the other direction. It's sort of the same direction as Annapolis, but in and of itself it's not a "city." There is work and industry there, but it's sort of a town on the way to other places. It's hard to explain. There is really no area between the triangle of Annapolis, Baltimore, and D.C. that is "out in the country." You certainly can find isolated housing, but it's never more than 10 minutes pretty much from anywhere to a place that has lots of people. The cities all just kind of blend into each other. Unless you know the zip codes, it's impossible to tell where one stops and the other starts.

My cousin is the construction project manager for a ton of new housing going up in Waugh Chapel, about 5 minutes from Crofton. To work in Crofton, it would be very $$ to live in Annapolis. But there are sections of Annapolis that are affordable, you've just got to look. Annapolis is a college town. It's not ALL horribly expensive. But there are good parts and bad parts, about which Maureen would be much more knowledgeable.

And yes, he should steer clear of Ft. Meade. Odenton/Piney Orchard aren't bad, they have their pros and cons. I worked in Odenton for 4 years in college. It's an older town, lots of industry, but not really a city. No independent culture or sustainable entertainment, that kind of thing. More of a bedroom town, very blue collar.

Severna Park is the same way; you can live there, and there is a little bit of shopping and eating and all the daily conveniences, but to get to a bigger city with entertainment and culture, you've got to go to Annapolis or Baltimore.

Near Crofton there is Crofton itself, and Millersville. There are other possibilities going toward Bowie, Laurel, and D.C., like Bowie itself, or Greenbelt. They get pricier and some places are really not safe. I paid $1600 a month for a 2-bedroom, 800-square-foot apartment in college 15 years ago. I can't imagine how high rent would be in Bowie/Laurel these days. You've just got to look around.

Going the other direction, there would be Glen Burnie. The housing would be cheaper, but the drive would be longer. Like Maureen said, it's a blue collar city (we made horrible fun of Glen Burnie growing up. And it is THE source---still, in 2010---for feathered hair, skin-tight stretch jeans, Converse hi-tops, and airbrush t-shirts. But's good fun!) but it's just a stone's throw from Baltimore. It's sort of a give and take. He'd need to decide if he wants to trade the $$ for the shorter drive.

Traffic around Ft. Meade (because of NSA) is typically very heavy, he'd want to avoid having to make the drive on Rt. 32 every day during rush hour. Rt. 3, which goes through Crofton, has bad traffic during rush hour as well, but the rest of the time, it's mostly like any other congested area. Saying the traffic is "bad" is relative, and depends on where he's coming from/going to. I would think he could find a reasonable place somewhere along there.

Good luck! If he winds up there, he can shoot a wave at my folks for me.

Sarah
    Sarah

22. Wow Sarah, thanks for all of the input. Hopefully the job will go through so we actually have to figure all of this out. Hard to tell these days. I'm grateful for all of the input.
    Kathleen

also known as Katemac

If he is willing to share a place, I think he will find something in Annapolis itself and here I mean the City of Annapolis. Because prices are high there are a lot of people who are willing to rent part of their home out and a lot of Annapolis town homes/houses are designed for two adults.

You can take a look at The Evening Capital aka The CrabWrapper Classifieds (www.hometownannapolis.com) to have an overview of what's available now. You'll note that there are fewer apts for rent than there are roomates wanted. It's the economy.
    Maureen
    PSE11/LR5

Quote Originally Posted by maureenreynolds View Post
    You can take a look at The Evening Capital aka The CrabWrapper Classifieds (www.hometownannapolis.com) to have an overview of what's available now. You'll note that there are fewer apts for rent than there are roomates wanted. It's the economy.
    Ha! The CrabWrapper, I never thought I'd see someone else link to that site, or call it that! (We always called it The Daily Crab Wrap, close enough!)

Sorry to hijack your thread, Maureen. Keep it up! I just got back from the gym and I am HURTING.
    Sarah

Good for you Maureen, that is wonderful!!!! Maybe Dick will come around when he sees the changes in you!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery