Thread: I am a pc . . .

I am a pc . . .

. . . . and anything apple scares me. I have been contemplating an ipod for all of my portable music needs, but I don't know anyone that has one. How are they different from a MP3 player. Can I use itunes purchases with either an MP3 player or ipod, can I download to ipod through my pc? Can I save the music to an EHD and play through my pc?

Thanks for your advice? Now I know how my grandparents felt about the exit of records and my parents when they couldn't get 8 tracks anymore. I can't let go of CD's.
    Lisa

My Gear: Nikon D3100, 18-55mm and 55-300MM, Kodak Easy Share Z812IS
    My Software: Photoshop CS4

So not the person to give advice here... I am PC through and through!

My husband is a DJ... and I can say from personal experience that Itunes is over priced and extremely frustrating in my opinion. But I know others love it. I am sure some of those apple lovers will be around to lead you in the right direction

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

3. Well, yes, Jen, here I am! Miss Apple!

Lisa, I can't answer how they are different from an MP3 player, but, I will share this with you:

Both of my sons are PC users and they both work in the computer field. They each have a Blackberry for their mobile phone, but, they also love their iPod Touch for music, games, apps and movies. They bought the Touch because then they can purchase and download their purchases while on the go. We gave them both gift certificates to the iTunes store for Christmas and they were pleased. Oh, and, there are apps and learning games for their children, too.
    Merrilee

Mac computer/Adobe Creative Cloud: CS and Lightroom; SonyA57

4. I am a PC too. I don't have an Ipod. I do have a Sandisk MP3 player and both my boys have Sandisk MP3 players.

My understanding is that iTunes can only be loaded only on Ipods. You can purchase music from Walmart.com for $0.64-$1.24 per song so I think iTunes is probably comparable.

That is all the help I can give you.
    Suzanne
    Wife, Mom, Book Lover, Crafter, and Red belt in Mixed Martial Arts

I have an iPod, it is seamless with iTunes on a PC. You can't use iTunes purchases on an MP3 player, Apple is pretty proprietary about the music. Yes, you use iTunes to buy the music, and you hook up your iPod and you can browse the store and download through it. You can save the music anywhere, it downloads the files just like an MP3 and you can move the folder anywhere. They are the same as an MP3 player, much of the format in the iTunes store is MP3. But many MP3 players won't play iTunes music, and vice versa.

iPods are pretty much universal because they're the standard. Apple does have great customer service, and iTunes is very easy to use.

CDs sound much better than MP3s, cassettes are better than CDs, and vinyl sounds the best of all. There is scientific research about the flattening and dulling of the digital format. So while it is portable, cheaper, and more convenient, there is much that is lost. I compared my dad's vinyl Glenn Miller album with a "remastered" MP3 once and there was just a world of difference.

As far as pricing, Suzanne's right. Though some albums you can get for much less per song (I downloaded a Christmas album for 9.99 that had 28 tracks). The big benefit is, of course, the "per song" purchase capability. I rarely like more than 3 or 4 tracks on one album, so now instead of paying $18 for 10 tracks, 9 of which I don't like, I can buy that one track for $.99. Sometimes albums are limited to full album purchase, though. For example, I really want the acoustic version of Amos Lee's "Colors" off the Just Like Heaven soundtrack, but you have to buy the whole album, because that's the only song anyone wants off that album, so they restrict it. You either buy the whole album or go without the song. But it's still half the price of buying a whole CD for one track!

One big benefit of using the iPod and iTunes is the Podcast feature. Hundreds and hundreds of podcasts, radio broadcasts for the iPod, many (most? all?) free. You can subscribe to them (like an RSS feed) and when there are new episodes, they'll show up in your podcast playlist automatically.

HTH!
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

Yes, you can play the music through your PC. You can also buy a docking station/speakers for your iPod.

You can still continue to buy CDs and load them to iTunes too. So, it's not like you have to repurchase your library. I have a good friend who always buys the hard CD and just loads it to his iTunes then into his iPod.

I love my iPod. LOVE. There is just something amazing about carrying your entire music collection in your pocket and my collection is large.

7. i have 4 (count 'em) 4 iPods, and really, i couldn't do without them. (I say go for the 160 GB iPod Classic.) I have days upon days of movies, videos, a little music. I'm ready for anything. i recently bought a SOLAR charger that can be used to charge my iPods (if we ever get any sun around where i live.) using an iPod is incredibly easy, as per all things Apple. Download iTunes onto your computer, buy yourself an iTunes gift card and have at it. You can play everything you buy through iTunes on your computer. you can also buy tunes from Amazon. i also have a portable video player that lets me hook up my iPod and watch/listen as i cook dinner. the kids can watch stuff in the car. you can also buy a cable that allows you to hook up your iPod to your tv so you can watch/listen through your tv.

these things are amazing little gizmos. it allows you to take your entertainment along anywhere. never again will you sit in the doctor's office watching Dr. Phil or Judge Judy. you can put your ear buds in and watch/listen to anything you want.

BUY ONE!!
    Whatnext

my gallery

iPods are just simply the most amazing little things EVER. I have an "old" one (5 years old), an iPod Touch, and an iPhone. My kids and I are all Mac, all the time, but my DH is a PC.
    Like everyone else said, you can do everything through iTunes whether you're on a Mac or a PC. I have music in iTunes that I've purchased through the store, that I've loaded from CD's, that people have given me, a bit of everything.
    And I think, I might be wrong here, but I think that Apple changed their format last year so that it's not proprietary. I think...
    And you can save it all on an EHD, or on CDs, or DVDs, or as data files. Anything, really. You can plug it into your stereo, your car, your computer, lots of different portable speakers that are made specially for iPods...it's endless.
    Go for it!
    Anyway, I couldn't live without mine.
    Kerry

Keep on the sunny side of life

Canon 5D Mark II
    Photoshop CS4

My Gallery

my flickr/

my website

9. Well, we have vinyl in the attic and in my DD's bedroom because in the search for everything vintage, she resurrected my record player from the seventies - she also has her iphone and ipod and ipod speakers!

I'm an Apple gal so I'm coming from the dark side or the enlightened side depending on your your opinion - but Apple are not the bad guys - you can access itunes from your PC - honest!! don't be scared - go to an apple store and talk to someone about how easy it is to use itunes, you'll be surprised how nice these guys/girls are!

Fiona

Quote Originally Posted by dugarner View Post
    You can't use iTunes purchases on an MP3 player, Apple is pretty proprietary about the music.
    You actually can. Once you burn a "playlist" or a song onto a CD it can then be down loaded back to your computer and uploaded to an MP3.

I'm a PC and use itunes. I think any restrictions Apple has will be for both PC and MAC users. I also think apple is a lot of money for a brand. That being said I do LOVE my iphone. However, before I discovered the iphone I had a PC friendly, blackberry, creative zen MP3 player and Windows Media Player which did everything that apple products do w/o the instant purchase of music. That's thing I regret with apple, not having the freedom of files that I paid for. I hate having to "hack" my own file/phone/computer to get the same control over my ringtones,music, and files. You can just as easily buy a cd, burn it on to your computer and upload to an MP3 player w/o any hassles over Apple's restrictions.

I would check out all MP3 players (in the store physically. That's how I came across a iphone) and buy what you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't buy an ipod just because it's the norm. Buy what's right for you...you might find out, it's an ipod anyways.
    Michele
    Captures
    Sunlight Sketches: A 365 Project

My Gear: Nikon D60 w/ 18-55 VR lens & 55-200 VR lens
    My Software: Photoshop CS4, Lightroom,

My kids have Zunes. Zune MP3 players, software, and music community | Zune.net
    My ds wants the latest one. He downloads lots of stuff onto it. He's contanstly downloading podcasts. I know he's got movies, games, videos, podcasts, and pictures. And he has it synced with his computer. I don't know much about it or all it's capabilities, but you might want to look into them before you decide on what player you want.
    Camera: Canon powershot A530
    Software: Adobe photoshop 7.0

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it keeps the world together.

Wow, if I was sitting the fence before now I can't wait. Especially after sitting in an exam room waiting to see the Doc this week and only having readers digest, newsweek and sport illustrated to choose from. I would enjoy these publications if they were current but they were from October 2008.

Not sure where the closest Apple store is but I will start saving my money, the next time I get to Minneapolis, I know they have one at MOA.

Thanks again, you ladies rock.
    Lisa

My Gear: Nikon D3100, 18-55mm and 55-300MM, Kodak Easy Share Z812IS
    My Software: Photoshop CS4

You can buy them at Target, Best Buy, etc. too.

never again will you sit in the doctor's office watching Dr. Phil or Judge Judy. you can put your ear buds in and watch/listen to anything you want.

BUY ONE!![/QUOTE]

That just cracked me up. It seems like every time I take DD for her ortho check that is exactly what's playing, without fail
    I don't really like the fact that I can't put my Itunes playlist on my little MP3 player, I have my Iphone and use that, but it's a little on the big side and I am not yet willing to shell out all that money for the Ipod, but that's just me, cheap
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

This is all good to know. I've been contemplating a mp3 purchase myself (thinking that since I was PC that an iPod wouldn't be a good fit). Good to know I was wrong. Thanks for the wealth of information

16. Quote Originally Posted by shellb View Post
    You actually can. Once you burn a "playlist" or a song onto a CD it can then be down loaded back to your computer and uploaded to an MP3.

I would check out all MP3 players (in the store physically. That's how I came across a iphone) and buy what you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't buy an ipod just because it's the norm. Buy what's right for you...you might find out, it's an ipod anyways.
    That is good info to know!
    Suzanne
    Wife, Mom, Book Lover, Crafter, and Red belt in Mixed Martial Arts

17. I love my ipod, it was my christmas present from our son two years ago and after he showed me what to do I`ve been hooked ever since. I play itunes on my computer in my craft room and have playlists for my favourite tunes.
    We bought the little donut speaker system for the lounge and our son bought us a system that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car so we can play it on long journeys, I always take it with me if we go away, I couldnt do without it especially on the long flight from spain to san francisco.