Thread: NYC trip & tour?

NYC trip & tour?

Just wondering if any of you have visited NYC and where you'd recommend staying that is priced fairly but not a dive either. Also, where you'd recommend visiting while in the city.
    A few friends & myself are going in the spring & I'm just trying to get all prepared for our travels
    Heidi

My Gallery
    Camera: Canon Rebel XSi
    Software: Photoshop Elements 5 & Lightroom 2.2

The one time we were in NYC we stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania (Midtown Manhattan New York Hotel Accommodations | New York's Hotel Pennsylvania) just by the Penn Station so it is easy to get there from the airport. In 2006 we payed around 100 dollars for the night.

For photo crazy people I surely would recommend a visit to B&H photo store... it's big

My shutterfly pages with the photobooks I have made

Since I live in the suburbs, I don't know where to stay, but tell me what you like and I can suggest what to see. It also depends on when-- cold weather or warmer?
    --Lynn

Heidi, about 6 years ago DH and I went and stayed at the Red Roof inn...it was nice and an easy to walk or cab wherever. Red Roof Inn Manhattan - 6 West 32nd Street, New York, NY 10001 (an Apple Core Hotel)
    Bailey

My Gallery

My Blog

Software/stuff: PS CS3, Lightroom 2, Wacom Intuos3
    Camera: Nikon D300s & backup d40x, 55-200 4.5vr, 50mm 1.4G

5. Don't rule out staying on the river in Hoboken or Weehawken, NJ...
    -Jen-
    Cassie Jones AND Katrina Kennedy tutorial collector.
    Nikon D90 * Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 (VR) *
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D * Tamaron 28-75 f/2.8 *
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM (LOVE IT)
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 & Lightroom 3.0 beta

A friend of mine and I stayed at the Belnord Hotel on the Upper West Side:
    Budget Hotels in Manhattan, New York City NYC NY on Upper West Side | The Belnord

Not fancy, but clean and reasonably priced. Close to the subway, 2 blocks away from Central Park and the Natural History Museum. We were hardly ever there, since we were out sightseeing every day until fairly late, so the fact that it wasn't a fancy hotel was not an issue for us.
    Shirley
    "I never met a mouse I didn't like."
    (with apologies to Will Rogers)
    My Gallery

photo BLINKIE_zpsf19a4128.gif

We usually stay at the Marriott Marquis in Time Square. We stayed at a hotel on the Hudson River in Weehawken when we went for the Macy's parade and that was great with an easy ferry ride over to manhattan and less expensive too!
    Katie - owner of DesignerDigitals
    Find Me on Facebook
    My Blog : Documenting + Designing

Camera: Nikon D700 with Speedlight SB-600
    Lenses: 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8, 70-200mm F2.8
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS3, Illustrator CS3
    computer platform: Mac

We have been to NYC 3 times and we stay every time at the Belvedere. Nice hotel rooms at a very reasonable price. Right near times square. Midtown Manhattan Hotel - The Belvedere, New York, NY

B and H store is awesome and even look at whether you can join any workshop they are having (if you or more are keen photogs) Some are free and really worth it.

Have fun - NYC does it for me
    my blog
    my gallery

Tools of the trade :
    Nikon chick D700 D200 D70
    lenses : 70-200;18-70 50mm 1.4 85mm 1.8 18-200 Flashing chick SB800
    macbookpro chick
    The chick needs - Nikon 24-70 2.8 ed & nikon 70-200 !

We have stayed at the Amsterdam Court Hotel (small but classy and right next to the subway) and the Best Western President Hotel (small) both in Time Square. We really enjoyed visiting Ellis Island and the museums....ohh the museums!

Last summer we stayed at The Muse hotel (Kimpton Hotels: Boutique Hotels, Luxury Travel and Chef-Driven Gourmet Restaurants) and had a wonderful experience. It's just off Broadway and Times Square...close to everything, but not in the middle of the traffic. I definitely plan to stay there again! Kimpton hotels are lovely boutique hotels, without the crazy prices. You might try finding them on hotels.com. There is SO MUCH to see and do in the city. I recommend ordering the Not For Tourists guide to NYC...it gives a lot of great info on the city and is geared for the locals, so you get some insider info. I'd be happy to share some activities and restaurant/eating suggestions if you'd like.