Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need security blanket advice

Oh my gosh, Sarah. I'm so sad for him. Trent is so attached to his Tiggie that Tiggie feels like a third son to me. There have been times when Tiggie has been misplaced, and everyone is in tears looking for him. Thankfully, he always turns up. I don't know what we'll do if something happens to him. I'm so sorry. I wish I could give you some advice. Good luck.
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by dugarner View Post
    However, when we put him down for bed tonight, he looked at Daddy and said, "Baby gones. Baby is bye-bye." And he rolled over and fell asleep.
    Ugh, this made me cry. What a little sweetie.
    Renee

I wish I would have seen this earlier. Here is what we did when our son could not find his "Moosie" We told he he went on vacation, then talked about where he could be. He seemed to relate as he knew he went on vacation and so did his friends at Daycare. It bought us a few days to find a back up, and in the mean-time we found the origional.

The one thing that still has me confused is how to "age" the backup? The origional is missing one eye and has had stitches, and AJ knew right away that it was not the real "Moosie".

Glad everything went well at bed time tonight.
    Lisa

My Gear: Nikon D3100, 18-55mm and 55-300MM, Kodak Easy Share Z812IS
    My Software: Photoshop CS4

4. Quote Originally Posted by rsowers View Post
    Ugh, this made me cry. What a little sweetie.
    it made me tear up too! what a great little guy. hopefully his new lovey will make him happy again.

Janice

My Gear: Canon XTi, 18-55 mm lens (Canon), 75-300mm Lens (Canon), 50 mm 1.8 lens (Canon)
    Software: PSE 5.0, Lightroom

my quilts: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2261921...7621758913540/

my blog: http://familyphotosfabric.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by iUma View Post
    From my work world they are called "transitional objects" - meaning they (the children - us) place the feeling of being loved by the people (mom and dad or UMA) into the material object - blanket, pillow, whatever. It is real. Well documented and understood by the child psychologists. It lets you tolerate being away from the real people until you can hold your own space and love your own self.
    Which can take a very long time.
    Thank you for this. So enlightening...and beautiful.
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by lisa.hinrichs View Post
    I wish I would have seen this earlier. Here is what we did when our son could not find his "Moosie" We told he he went on vacation, then talked about where he could be. He seemed to relate as he knew he went on vacation and so did his friends at Daycare. It bought us a few days to find a back up, and in the mean-time we found the origional.

The one thing that still has me confused is how to "age" the backup? The origional is missing one eye and has had stitches, and AJ knew right away that it was not the real "Moosie".

Glad everything went well at bed time tonight.
    You don't think he would believe he visited a fountain of youth on his vacation?

We have two small baby blankets, and one of my boys has a stuffed animal too (puppy). Then, my daughter isn't attached to anything. We have stopped the car on trips before just to triple check that we had puppy and the blankets in the car. When my son had surgery (minor in the medical world but a big deal for him) at age 3, puppy had an operation too. I don't know what we would do without their little friends.
    Beckie

My DD (who is now 12) still has her Telly, a stuffed Teddy she has had since she was little. She forgot it in Cancun a few years ago and we were devastated. I called the Hotel and was told that nobody found it, but I insisted. Lo and behold the cleaning lady had found it and a kindly couple we befriended down there mailed it back to us from Michigan where they live. That was quite the adventure for poor little Telly and DD I hope your story will turn out okay! Do write it down!
    Anke

My gear:
    Nikon: D700, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 mm 2.8, 17-35 mm 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85mm 1.4
    Tamron:18-270mm 3.5-6.3, 90mm 2.8,
    LR 5 (CC), CS6 on a 17" MacBookPro.
    Member NAPP
    My blog
    My gallery

8. Sarah . . . so glad that your little one isn't crying for hours. It is very tramatic for little fellows to lose these "friends" that they love so much and give them such comfort and security, isn't it? I had a teddy bear named Rusty that I still remember vividly . . . all of our children had special blankets and some of our grandchildren do too. One grandson has a "froggy" (a little knit shirt with a smocked frog on it) that he loves dearly and has froggy near by all the time except when at school. The last time they came to visit us, they couldn't find froggy so he was without it. He is four years old now and did very well . . . they found it at home later and he was thrilled to be reunited. I made a layout about his froggy last year after he came for a visit to our house. I hope that you will make a layout about "baby" to remember this. Probably, you will never forget it anyway!!!

I love that you and your husband are such kind and caring parents. Love that your husband when onto eBay and found a replacement and ordered it immediately . . . & love that you spent so much time searching at Wal-Mart. What wonderful parents you two must be . . . what a fortunate little boy.

Sarah, look at this page by Anna ****** called "Something Special" that was created for one of the heritage challenges in mid-December. It is just so sweet and is so timely for your plight.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

Mollie, that is a beautiful page Anna did . . . I am going to remember that when we get Jake's new Baby.

He has not been crying to fall asleep, it's been a different problem. He wakes up at night and reaches for it, and can't go back to sleep. When he wakes up in the morning, he starts asking for it and gets upset. It's like I imagine when someone has lost a friend or loved one, and they dream about them, and then wake up and just for a second, think they are there, but they're not. (Obviously, it's not the same, but the look on his face tells me this is the worst separation he's experienced in his short two years!) When he woke up this morning (at 5:58!) and asked for Baby, he cried and then asked for "chokit meelk" (chocolate milk) which is currently his second-most-wanted item.

Hopefully Baby will get here tomorrow or Saturday! We're praying for speedy mail to our town, where a letter from the neighboring town can sometimes take a week to get here. Some days the mail carrier just doesn't deliver the mail because they don't feel like it. (Yes, that was an excuse one time when our mail didn't come.)
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses
    Software: Windows 8, PSE 10 (Editor), PSE 6 (Organizer), and PSCS 4

I find it so touching to see the love pouring out of these posts. I know it must break your heart to see him tear up and cry. Can't wait for the replacement to get there. Poor little Jake.
    Terry

Terry's Tales

Gear: Nikon D60
    Software: CS4
    Platform: Mac

Sarah, i'm so sorry to here about 'Baby'. My DS has 'Horsey', a horse that I made him with real hair ( Dads) for main and tail. He has lost it a couple of time, only to be found somewhere silly, and I have been even more distraught about it than him. My DH doesn't understand why I get so upset, but I can totally relate to you. I think the thought of him missing it just tears me up inside. Just last night I found the pattern again and was contemplating making another one 'just in case'. After reading your post I am going to start tonight!. I'm so glad you didnt have too bad a time getting him off to sleep and that you have a replacement on the way.
    Sam

Just spotted this post, I'm sniffing a bit just reading it! So glad you were able to find a replacement. Hope it arrives quickly!

Amy doesn't go anywhere without a stuffed Sid from Ice Age, but the original got lost a few months ago while on a walk in her pushchair. I searched all round the town (in the pouring rain!), but couldn't find it, but luckily Peter was able to get to Toys R Us a couple of days later and get a replacement.

When we brought the new one in, we explained that Sid had made his way up to daddy's work for an adventure, which seemed to be enough of an explanation.

Now I'm thinking we should have bought a spare, but fingers crossed he stays with us.
    Chrissy x

My software: PSE 6 for Mac, run on my super-shiny new Macbook Pro!, yay!
    My camera: Canon EOS 600D, wheeee!!!! or still my trusty IXUS 950IS, or more likely my iPhone 4S

My blog

It came today! We ordered in on Wednesday, and the seller shipped it same-day via Priority Mail (even though we only paid for 1st class!).

It looks brand-new, so the silver lining is that he has a brand-new one to slobber on.

I unwrapped it and showed it to him, and he looked at me and said, "Baby. Baby? BABY!!!" and promptly stuck his finger in his mouth.

I think he knows it's not Baby I, he sniffed it a couple of times, then shrugged and started running around with it. He went outside to play and I can't get it out of his hands.

I guess it worked!

Thank you all for all your love, kind words, and support! I had no idea so many of you had been through the same experience. It seems such a small, insignificant thing, but it surprises me what things my kids go through that really touch my heart. It was such a big deal for him to get Baby II (in honor of Snowball I and II---"I had a cat named Snowball, she died . . . she died . . . my mom said she was sleeping . . . she lied! she lied!").

I love you all!

Sarah
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarah
    Equipment: Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses

Oh my gosh. Here I am at school on my lunch break crying! I'm so happy that he loves Baby No. 2, and thanks for attaching a photo. What a relief.
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by kikimama View Post
    Amy doesn't go anywhere without a stuffed Sid from Ice Age, but the original got lost a few months ago while on a walk in her pushchair. I searched all round the town (in the pouring rain!), but couldn't find it, but luckily Peter was able to get to Toys R Us a couple of days later and get a replacement.
    I panic just reading all these stories now! We might yet another backup if we see any for less than $50, which is what the others are currently selling for. I hope Amy holds on to Current Sid!
    Sarah

So glad Baby II arrived!! Have a restful sleep tonight, at least the new one will be as tatty as the old in no time!
    Chrissy x

My software: PSE 6 for Mac, run on my super-shiny new Macbook Pro!, yay!
    My camera: Canon EOS 600D, wheeee!!!! or still my trusty IXUS 950IS, or more likely my iPhone 4S

My blog

So glad to see the happy ending to this story--and love the photo--such a sweetie with his Baby!
    Laura in CT

My Gear: Canon 40D; 15-85mm, 55-250mm, & 50mm f/1.8; PSE6 & Aperture 3.
    My Blog: Honeypot Rambles
    My DD Gallery

18. cheering for you both. i can only imagine how wonderful, deep and peaceful his sleep will be tonight, knowing that Baby is in his arms. you really have to scrap this, Sarah!

Janice

My Gear: Canon XTi, 18-55 mm lens (Canon), 75-300mm Lens (Canon), 50 mm 1.8 lens (Canon)
    Software: PSE 5.0, Lightroom

my quilts: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2261921...7621758913540/

my blog: http://familyphotosfabric.blogspot.com/

19. Sarah . . . I'm so impressed with this seller! What a good person she/he is to send "baby" by speedy delivery at her own expense. I love a good story like this one. And, I love the photo that you attached after baby was in his arms. Precious . . . I look forward to a layout soon!

Quote Originally Posted by dugarner View Post
    I panic just reading all these stories now! We might yet another backup if we see any for less than $50, which is what the others are currently selling for.
    You crack me up!!! (I would do the same thing where I in your shoes I think.)
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

This has been a most wonderful thread!!! I'm cheering over the happy ending. Thanks so much for the photo, Sarah.

So happy to see the photo of Jake with "Baby II". I've been there several times.

22. awww...so glad that Baby arrived and all is well....adorable photo!!

I'm so glad this has had a happy ending! Your story certainly struck a cord. We've had a number of similar stories in our household, too. That is such a delightful photo. You just want to give him a big cuddle!
    Camera: Canon 7D, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus TG2 (point and shoot)
    Lenses (for the 7D): Tamron F2.8 28-75mm, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 50mm f/1.4
    Software: CS6.0, LightRoom 5, ACDSee 14
    Platform: PC
    My blog: snippets

Awwww Sarah. I remember my mil's wise advice...she said she never saw a person walk down the aisle carrying a 'boo' as my xh's blanket had been called, a baby bottle or wearing a diaper (not being toilet trained). She said if any of my children got married with one of those issues, it would then be the spouse's to accept, no longer mine! I was just thinking of your peers, and their children, none of whom have security props and finding that 'interesting'.

I still have one of my mother's mohair sweaters that I took when I was in the hospital over 20 years ago. My mother died of cancer when I was 35 and that sweater represents a soft love these 30 years later. If I'm not feeling great, I wear it to bed because it's so light.

Maybe your son no longer needs the blanket but you both needed to replace it ...for you...and I don't think you'll ever regret it.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/MountainLion
    PSE11/LR5

All this has made me make a page. I really think it is a serious part of being secure.

Here's my little homage to the power of a crochet hook, some seriously strong and soft yarn and deep, true love.

ByeBabyBunting
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

Retired Creative Team Member and always family

So happy to hear he got a new Baby!! My gds Lara and Amy have soft puppies they take everywhere and sleep with. They also smell them when they pick them up and my daughter thank goodness has got two of each so if something happens she will have replacements. Those stuffies mean so much to them. I even went and got the same ones so if they come to my house without them we have a replacement. My daughter flew to St. Louis to see her girl friend and one of the puppies got left at the hotel and the plane trip was not pleasant without it. The replacement was in her luggage. I am glad I wasn`t with her as I would have been crying too!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12