Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macro lens advice?

Question Macro lens advice?

I'm yearning for a macro lens. Any advice?
    I wouldn't use it a whole lot for photographing small things close up, but rather for people.
    I'm a Canon girl so could use either Canon or Tamron!
    Kerry

Keep on the sunny side of life

Canon 5D Mark II
    Photoshop CS4

My Gallery

my flickr/

my website

I am also "hungry" for a macro lens - and I have set my eyes on the Tamron 90mm. I like that it is longer than f.ex the Nikon 60mm, which is also a good lens (but then again, you are Canon - I don't "speak" Canon...) I have seen some pretty amazing shots with the Tamron.
    * Aino *

My gallery

: Nikon D800 & Nikon Df with various lenses.
    : Lightroom and PSCS6

Ooooo... I would be totally interested in hearing peoples thoughts!

My Camera - 5D Mark III and Canon 50D
    My Lenses - 50mm 1.2, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8
    My Software - Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3

Instagram

I am totally interested in knowing how you plan to use it to shoot people, Kerry? You are such a master with that camera (why I followed you to the Canon store) and I would love to know your intentions.
    just call me Uma

I guess I SHOULD remove the blinkie.
    BUT I'm not gonna!

Retired Creative Team Member and always family

I have wanted a macro lens for a while now for photographing newborn's little parts (hands, feet, etc.) and for close ups of little faces. I know of a few people who use macro lenses as a portrait lens. They seem to do a lovely job.
    And, it would be nice for flowers and such, too
    Kerry

Canon 5D Mark II
    Photoshop CS4

My Gallery

my flickr/

my website

Again, I have read that the 90mm is good for portraits, because you don't need to be too close to the subject..... well, it's the lens I am lusting for anyway.
    * Aino *

My gallery

7. I have that Tamron 90 mm Macro and have loved it! I recently shot this group of pictures with it: Summer Photos. It has worked very well for me. I used it for both portraits and the flower pictures in that gallery.
    Kami

Nikon D80
    1.8f 50mm, 18-200mm VR, 2.8 90mm 1:1 Macro
    SB-400
    Photoshop CS4
    Photoshop Elements 6.0
    LightRoom
    MacbookPro

Kami Bible | Digital Art
    Me on Twitter
    My Photos

Thanks, Aino and Kami!
    Kami, those are great pics. The detail in the flower is yummy.
    I'll take a look at the 90mm.
    Kerry

Canon 5D Mark II
    Photoshop CS4

My Gallery

my flickr/

my website

Kerry, I have a lovely 105 f/2.8 VR for Nikon, and I'm pretty sure that Canon has a similar lens. It really IS great for portraits -- extremely sharp with great bokeh. The only drawback is that it's somewhat slow & "seeky" during autofocus, which is common to most macros (since they were optimized for close-up manual) so it's not the best for fast action esp. in lowish light. We bought it for true macro work (my husband wanted me to take pics of some small stuff for his business) but I usually use it for portraits & "everyday" stuff when I use it now.

Don't get me wrong -- it still autofocuses fast & well! Just that it tends to seek more than my other lenses, and that took a bit of getting used to. I do love it, though!

J

Can you get enough speed with a macro lens for baby parts?? In no way do I know anything about such stuff, I just know that when I went for a macro lens for that, my guru at the camera store talked me into the fast fixed 50 because of speed issues with little moving parts. I have loved it. Again, in no means anymore than a photo addict, but I have done a few body parts collages, and love the lens for this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kathie R.

My Favorite Toys:
    Nikon D70s, MacBookPro, CS3, Wacom Tablet,
    iPod (to show off my pics and digi stuff!) and my car.

Kathie, my macro is best in good strong light or tripod/manual focus. I am NOT a manual focus gal...I wear glasses and I just trust the camera to focus for me (as long as I select the focus spot.) So I like using this lens with good lighting.

For baby shots, I do love the 50mm 1/8. The 105 2.8 is also good for babies as long as you practice first and get used to the way it focuses. It's slower and more seeky than the 50mm but it's still very good...it just takes a few times shooting to get used to how it responds. Once you "know" its personality then you can get the right angles & can get the cute shots. And it's nice and sharp wide open at 2.8, and has excellent bokeh. It's a great lens!

I love that collage of baby shots you posted...that is adorable! What cute close-ups of the baby's body!

I have a cropped sensor camera and Nikon, so completely different than you, but I use my 60mm 2.8 macro for newborn work. It's super for close up (duh), but also a great portrait lens. Like Jennifer mentioned, it's slow to focus, so I'd not use it on fast moving subjects, but it works perfect for sleeping newborns. Now, for your full frame sensor, you might be more happy with the 90mm or even 105mm.

Just looked up the Tamron 90 Macro at Amazon and they have a great price on it and there are $60 in coupons and a free Shutterfly book. Kerry are you thinking this is a good lens?
    just call me Uma

BUT I'm not gonna!

Thanks, everyone! Patricia, I'm going to look into that one today. I'll come back by afterward.
    Kerry

Canon 5D Mark II
    Photoshop CS4

My Gallery

my flickr/

my website

15. Kerry . . . I'm late to this thread, but I just found this comparison between the Tamron and the Canon. There are lots of photos using both lenses for comparison and prices from Adorama too. Interesting thoughts here that might help your decision. Let us know what you decide and show us the fantastic photos that you take with which ever lens you choose.
    Mollie

My DD Gallery

DD Photo-a-Day Flickr Group

Software: Photoshop Elements 8.0
    My Gear: Canon PowerShot G10, Canon D50 , Tameron 28-300 lens and Canon 50mm - 1.4 lens
    Computer: iMac

Thank you for the link to that review, Mollie.
    I'm leaning toward the Tamron because of the price difference. I have a newborn shoot coming up and I'm going to rent both lenses and see what I think.
    I'll come back when I've done the shoot. Little guy was born on Thursday, so it will be within a couple of weeks.
    Kerry

Canon 5D Mark II
    Photoshop CS4

My Gallery

my flickr/

my website

I wanted to update on this!
    When I called to rent the macro lens for this weekend's newborn shoot, they were out of them! Seems that Labor Day is a big weekend for macro photography or something. I was bummed! But I'll rent one next weekend (hopefully) and get back to you gals.
    Kerry

Canon 5D Mark II
    Photoshop CS4

My Gallery

my flickr/

my website

Kerry, did you rent this lens? Curious to hear your thoughts!

Oh, great post! I'm also in for a macro lens very soon. If I had the money I think I would buy the new Canon 100 mm f2.8 IS. It must be great for portraits, and it has the image stabilization to work with slower shutter speed as well.. But it's about $1000 (bhphotovideo), so it's a lot of money... :-( Better to save up and buy great lenses though, instead of buying and then upgrading... The version without IS is also popular, by the way. It's a great focal length for portraits.

I have the Sigma 50 mm, and love it, so I looked into the Sigma 105, but the auto focus was very slow (at least on the lens I tried. Could be that I tried a bad copy).
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

Not yet, Katrina. I'm waiting for a newborn shoot! I'm booked with kids and families, but no newbies
    Kerry

Canon 5D Mark II
    Photoshop CS4

My Gallery

my flickr/

my website

Can't wait to hear and hopefully see your results Kerry!
    * Aino *

My gallery

*bumping this thread*
    -anx -

My Gallery
    My toys: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 50 mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
    iMac with Lightroom 5, Adobe CS6 Design Premium

Nothing yet, I'm afraid. Been very slow on the newborn side of biz for me lately. But I am shopping for a new wide angle lens as I'm going to Abu Dhabi next month.
    Any recommendations for me?
    I promise I'll update when I get a macro...Kathie's recent snowflake pics are making me yearn for one
    Kerry

Canon 5D Mark II
    Photoshop CS4

My Gallery

my flickr/

my website

Kerry, which wide angle do you have already? It is a tricky purchase if you ask me.
    just call me Uma

BUT I'm not gonna!

25. Kerry Abu Dhabi sounds amazing!

Has anyone got the 77mm Canon close up lens? How does it work for macro shots?

I love my Canon 17-40mm L f/4.0 Kerry, but only outdoor with lots of light obviously. It was an "accidental" gift by my hubby. It is a fairly affordable lens, in fact, the most affordable L glass.

If I was buying now I'd go wider and faster though.

27. Kerry, I have been meaning to pm you. You asked what macro I have, well I am a nikon girl and I have the 60mm 2.8 micro. I wanted the 105 but wasn't sure how much I would use one and for the price difference went the cheaper route...so far I am happy with it....fun to play with, and a nice general fixed lens too.

eta....your trip sounds so exciting...have fun!!
    Kathie

my gallery

Camera: Nikon D90, Nikon D50
    Lenses: Nikkor: 50 mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, Micro 60mm 2.8G ED, 18-200mm VR, SB-800
    Software: Adobe PSE3 and CS2
    Computer Platform: It may be a PC, but at least it's fast

Kerry Just wanted to let you know that this months Popular Photography has a bunch of info on lenses... it's also on the website Photography - PopPhoto.com Offers Camera Reviews and Exclusive Photo Tips.. they group the different lense by what you use them for.. Thought it might be helpful. BTW love the new Avatar.. it's very cool
    We do not remember days; we remember MOMENTS

My Gear:
    Nikon D50, Nikon D200, SB600, SB800,
    Nikkor F1.4 50mm, various zoom lenses
    PSE 8.0 for Mac and a wonderful 21.5 IMAC
    Wacom Intuos 4

Thanks, Donna! I'm going to check that out
    Kerry

Canon 5D Mark II
    Photoshop CS4

My Gallery

my flickr/

my website

Quote Originally Posted by echogirl View Post
    Has anyone got the 77mm Canon close up lens? How does it work for macro shots?
    Hey, Doris, I got the lens yesterday and posted on Flickr (DD) two shots of the everlasting tulips!! I took them down already but will put them back tomorrow if you want to see. The 100mm 2.8L Macro takes a tiny bit better than the 24-205 4.L with the 77mm close up lens. I'm on dial up so everything takes FOREVER! as in 30min to get one image up.
    just call me Uma

BUT I'm not gonna!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast