Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Scrapbooking Magazine needs your help.

Quote Originally Posted by RatherBScrappin View Post
    I did, however, notice that my Paper Crafts subscription is now extended. I was letting it run out and I think they moved my credit to that magazine. I would have liked to be asked where I wanted my credit to go to.
    Personally, I think it's wrong for them to arbitrarily choose which of my subscriptions will be extended. I subscribe to a couple of their magazines and have let one expire because I didn't care for it, so I find it unfair of them to make that decision for me.

2. Like many others I LOVED the paper version. It was the best digital resource I've found. If that is no longer possible, then I do like the CD idea because I do like to go back and look at past issues. I'd prefer the e-zine format rather than a newsletter, because there isn't anything in the original magazine that I'd want to leave out. I do appreciate you asking for feedback and trying to continue to provide it in some form.

I've subscribed to this magazine for a year now and like the paper version. Just like everyone said, there's TOO much info online now a days. I probably won't read this as much as I would the paper version. I do want to point out one thing no one else has said- less trees will definitely be used as a result of going e-zine, which is a huge plus for me and probably one of the reasons I stopped paper crafting as much. It's too bad they've chosen this route, especially with the new CK website that I feel has less content now is very unappealing as far as the design and look.

I also loved this magazine - hung on every word, idea and tutorial. There seem to be so many online scrapbooking resources popping up; I'm hoping that they continue to offer this as an e-zine, but I haven't seen anything yet indicating it will be. Given the digital content nature, I would think an all-digital version would continue with a strong following. I would definitely subscribe to an all-digital version. Anna, I wasn't sure if anyone was still receiving emails at the address you provided in your original thread, so thought I'd post my comments here. Thank you.

I think I'd like to see more LO's in it - lots and LOTS of LO's. Although the longer articles are interesting, they often cover techniques I already know how to do, or in which I'm not currently interested. (This is the same for all mags, not just this one!)

I'd LOVE to see a section called "Layout Heaven" or something, that shows 20 or 25 different LO's from various scrapbookers. Each week this huge cluster of LO's could be about a different topic. These could all feature a technique shown, similar to the Saturday Scraplift here. Or they could all use the same colors, or have some other unifying theme.

But one of the best things about ANY mag is actually seeing all the LO's and getting ideas from them.

I'm also not at all interested in hybrid projects or crafty projects, so for ME personally, that is not a big draw. I mean, I *am* interested in them, but not in seeing them in a scrapbook mag. Again, I just love looking at lots and lots of lo's!

Jennifer

I want to chime in that I love the paper versions of magazines. I read them over coffee and take them in the bathroom too (sorry if that's tmi!) Then I rip out pages with lo's that I love and put them in a binder box for future reference. I LOVE my paper mag. I never got the hang of "reading" the magazine on line, although I loved the idea in theory. somehow it was hard on the eyes, I guess, and I couldn't enjoy it in my kitchen near dd while she plays/eats.

BUT, that being said, I'd consider renewing a subsrip. if there were TONS of good lo's in there to see, and tips that appeal to me. It would have to be super-duper to make me buy it if it's on-line only. I'll try to think of what I mean by "super duper" in addtion to "loads of layouts".

I am very sad, though, to see that it's going away! I'd like to see it continue in some form or other!

J

Quote Originally Posted by bluelemur01 View Post
    I think I'd like to see more LO's in it - lots and LOTS of LO's. Although the longer articles are interesting, they often cover techniques I already know how to do, or in which I'm not currently interested. (This is the same for all mags, not just this one!)

I'd LOVE to see a section called "Layout Heaven" or something, that shows 20 or 25 different LO's from various scrapbookers. Each week this huge cluster of LO's could be about a different topic. These could all feature a technique shown, similar to the Saturday Scraplift here. Or they could all use the same colors, or have some other unifying theme.

But one of the best things about ANY mag is actually seeing all the LO's and getting ideas from them.

I'm also not at all interested in hybrid projects or crafty projects, so for ME personally, that is not a big draw. I mean, I *am* interested in them, but not in seeing them in a scrapbook mag. Again, I just love looking at lots and lots of lo's!

Jennifer

Jennifer, you took the words out of my mouth!

I did not resubscribe to DSM (thank goodness) when they kept sending me the notices because I'm not into hybrid or crafts (and if I was, I'd get a mag for that) and there didn't seem to be many layouts. A few tips/articles is okay, but mainly I wanted the eye candy!

That's why I buy every issue of the Digital Artist Magazine. It's full of gorgeous LOs. But I do miss the actual hold-it-in-my-hands format.
    Katina
    My Camera: Canon 30D
    My Software: CS3

Ok, here is one more idea: To make the magazine "buy-worthy", it has to have some special "new and exciting" thing or secret in it. I'd recommend doing my "Loads of Layouts" theme, but also making most of them previously unpublished anywhere! That way, people would be very excited to get & read the issue, because they'd be laying first eyes on some really neat LO's.

And maybe each issue, one or two layouts could win some kind of prize, and the winners/prize would be announced in the issue itself. For example, you could post a series of 10 or 15 LO's online BEFORE the issue was published and people could vote on their faves; then the faves would be announced in the mag. Or the mag editors could choose.

But having a surprise of some kind would make people eager to get the mag and find out.

I read somewhere that the publishers of a failing small-town paper boosted circulation just by adding a "birthday" column. People loved seeing their name in print so much that circulation picked up and made the paper profitable again. I don't know if this story is true, but I think the psychology remains true -- people LOVE seeing themselves in print. The more LO's you can publish from individuals, and the better chance of seeing one's own LO in print, the more interest there will be in subscribing.

That's my 2 cents!
    Jennifer

9. I was saddened to hear that DSM was not going to be printed anymore. I looked forward to the articles, tips and techniques it offered and learned much frin the terrific contributing authors.

I offered one suggestion to the editors: I found the magazine's tutorial, tips and tricks were always geared to Photoshop users. I use Paint Shop Pro and many of the articles just didn't apply to me. I suggested getting a Paint Shop Pro "expert" to translate the tuts and tips to accomodate PSP users. Maybe it could be linked to the ezine version so that PSP users could take advantage of the wonderful scrapbooking tricks featured in the magazine.

I understand that CK publishing is offering their scrapbooking magazine to fulfill your subscription. I also know they will refund your money of the remainder of you subscription. I called this number and was told a refund would be issued to me>>>1-888-247-5282 (CK Media)

Wish the magazine could be resurrected--I'll miss it! Karen

future of Digital Scrapbooking Magazine

I currently subscribe the Digital Scrapbook Magazine and love it!

I love both portions - the electronic version and the print version.

Now that it will only be electronic only, I will likely print the pages that I especially want to see in color or the instructions.

For the electronic version, I love (and would continue to love) to see an interactive interface. I love to click on the table of contents & go directly to the article. I love the convenience of clicking on the URL and going directly to the website referenced. It's nice when you can just click on the URL to get the download.

My .02.

Keep up the great work!

Are there any layout calls coming up for the magazine??

Tina

11. Where can I get the online version? I purchased one copy and really enjoyed it and would like to receive more!
    Momma to 3 wild boys!

In the backpack: Canon 50D, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Canon 70-200 1.4
    In the den: PSE 5.0 and ACDSee (but it's been in the box for a year now, guess I should get it out)

12. Unhappy quitting paper version

I just renewed my subscription to the paper version, the best mag out there! Don't like e-zines for so many reasons, as already mentioned by others. Do not want my money going over to another magazine.only interested in this one, and only in paper. SOOOOO disappointed, and a little bit miffed that you were still soliciting renewals without being forthcoming about stopping the paper version.:

14. Thanks Anna!!!
    Momma to 3 wild boys!

In the backpack: Canon 50D, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Canon 70-200 1.4
    In the den: PSE 5.0 and ACDSee (but it's been in the box for a year now, guess I should get it out)

15. I'm so disappointed with what has happened with DSM. I was a charter subscriber & loved the paper version (rarely looked at it online). While I've been a digital scrapbooker & graphic designer & do a lot photographically online, I still prefer the old paper mag. Guess I was lucky in that my check for renewal was returned a couple months after sending it--that was my first knowledge of DSM being discontinued. I never dreamed of such a thing since I continued to receive renewal notices even after renewing! I'm disappointed in the administration aspect (maybe it's marketing side?). I guess I'd look at an online version now, but not often because I already spend too much time in front of my computer as it is. I have received no offers, however, to get a subscription to it that way. ???

The magazine has been converted into an "e-newsletter" and will continue to contain our columns written by the same editors. The good news is that there IS no subscription or fee to receive it twice a month in your email box.

Send an email to webmaster@ckmedia.com and write “subscribe me to Digital Scrapbooking’s e-newsletter” in the subject line.
    Pattie

Software: Photoshop CS5 - Photoshop Elements 10 - Adobe Lightroom 3

Gear: Canon30D with 50mm 1.4 and IS 28-135mm lenses - Canon Digital Elph DD1000

Visit My Gallery -- My Blog

17. In my case I had just bought the whole year suscription ( in November ), when I received the news that the magazine was going to disapear, I agree that paper is nice but since I live in Mexico, digital was OK for me, but no one gave me the choice I just simply received an advice that my suscription was beeing changed to an other magazine of their choice, they didn't gave me any chance to make a choice to which.

When asking untill when was I going to be able to to see the magazine on line and if I could down load the files no one gave an answer, quite frankly I just feel cheeted, I don't think this is at all a way to make business why accept my suscription if the magazine was going out of business.

I absolutely LOVE the magazine too...I have been a subscriber from the start and have kept every issue. I wanted to cry when I read that it would not longer be published.

A newsletter would be great!

19. Well, hard times dictate hard measures! I'd rather have an e version than none at all. Do you think you could format it so I could print the version at home on my printer? I find I get more out of it, if I have a printed version to look at over and over. I especially like taken the printed magazine when I go for appointments. It makes the time go by faster, plus I take a pad and paper and make notes of articles and tips I need to refresh myself with.
    Thanks for such a good product. I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy it and have learned from it.
    wibbwebb

Disappointed Subscriber

I think an ezine is great but I do miss the paper edition. I was disappointed after receiving my first issue only to find out the mag was being cancelled. I'm a sit-on-the-couch kinda reader too. I no longer have internet service in light of the economy and only log on here and there. Doing so to read the online version is nearly impossible.

21. One of the reasons I like PAPER mags is because they remain available for yrs after your subscription runs out or the mag or its parent company no longer exist. Digital versions are a different story, you are immediately locked out of access.
    Another issue with Digi versions is having links work for the pics, downloads, and video tutorials. For ex, CK's Computer Tricks vol 3: NONE of the links for CT3 work and CT2 is treated as if it never existed. No where to be found in cyberspace. Access and reliability is a huge negative.

Just wanted to let you know that Jessica Sprague is going to put all her files from CK on her website. She did not give a specific date for the files to be available but she is aware that the links aren't working.

Marcie
    Marcie
    Canon Digital Rebel T2i/ Windows 7/ CS5extended/Android/Intuos 4 medium

23. I noticed that the online archives of the magazines are gone. Poof! I was hoping to quickly look something up, but I guess I'll have to look through the paper versions.
    -Jen-
    Cassie Jones AND Katrina Kennedy tutorial collector.
    Nikon D90 * Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 (VR) *
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D * Tamaron 28-75 f/2.8 *
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM (LOVE IT)
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 & Lightroom 3.0 beta

24. If you call them, you can get a refund in leiu of a different magazine subscription.

25. Anna, love this magazine espsecially the PDF Version so I can print just want I want. No magazine or site has everything that everyone can use so we pick and choose. Thank you for your remarkable work. I love all your "stuff". Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you

Quote Originally Posted by cheekymonkey View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself! It's frustrating to meander thru the CK webpage looking for digital stuff sometimes!
    While I rarely see DSM in the stores, I totally agree about the CK webpage. How can a company that extensive have such a poorly designed site?

Now re the DSM, I too, like a print version for all the reasons given. Trust us, 60 year old eyes need a break from the screen. Plus, as much as Dick and I love our laptops, they don't go to bed with us. Call us old fashioned ...or still newly weds. However, if I were given a choice, I'd pick a pdf over a newsletter.
    Maureen
    My Blog:Cooking My Life
    What do we live for if not to make life a little easier for someone?
    iPhone4Gs is my camera!/27" iMac/Macbook/Mavericks
    PSE11/LR5

Quote Originally Posted by maureenreynolds View Post
    While I rarely see DSM in the stores, I totally agree about the CK webpage. How can a company that extensive have such a poorly designed site?

Now re the DSM, I too, like a print version for all the reasons given. Trust us, 60 year old eyes need a break from the screen. Plus, as much as Dick and I love our laptops, they don't go to bed with us. Call us old fashioned ...or still newly weds. However, if I were given a choice, I'd pick a pdf over a newsletter.
    Totally agree. Though I am only 34, I still find it difficult to read on the computer. I spend so much time dojng my computer work that I reallyy need a break. I like to read things on a bus, or when my husband is dring a car. I can't take my laptop with me everywhere.

By the way, can anybody give me a link to this magazine. I can't find it anywhere on CK website

I had heard that it was going to continue as an eZine but when I never got an e-mail about it, I finally wrote to them and never heard anything. So I gather that never happened? Such a bummer because that was an AWESOME magazine!

Can anyone tell me what the status quo is on the eZine? Here in Aussie land I have never heard of the mag, but it sounds wonderful and I would love to subscribe if it is going ahead.

Anna, I used your link but got a message that the page was not available.

Jaycee. The Digital Scrapbooking Magazine became an early victim of the poor US economy and no longer exists unfortunately. You can however access the content of the magazine by joining Club CK through Creating Keepsakes. I hope this helps.

Anna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast