Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Scrapbooking Magazine needs your help.

Digital Scrapbooking Magazine needs your help.

Subject: we need your ideas

As many of you know, Digital Scrapbooking magazine will cease the print portion of its offering after the February-March issue (on sale January 14). (If you didn't know, you can find the official announcement here: .)

Despite this disappointment, we're working on a plan to continue Digital Scrapbooking magazine. But we want your ideas to make it happen. What would you like to see DSM become? An e-zine only? A dynamic e-newsletter with tutorials and inspiring ideas? Something completely different? As we work on this proposal, we're open open to all ideas. Send us an email at editor@digitalscrapbooking.com. We want to make sure we're including your ideas to keep DSM being what you want

Jennafer Martin
    Editor in Chief

I know I've read on more than one site that this magazine was about to cease.
    If it is ok, I don't mind sharing this message with other digi buddies.

I'm embarassed to admit, I've never seen it. That is mainly because, I subscribe to several paper scapbook magzines , and...I look at pics for ideas and digitally adjust.
    m
    Michelle
    pse: 3,4,5,6, and cs3
    canon xti and several lenses

Please go ahead. The hope is that DSM will continue if not flourish in some other format than a traditional magazine.

babyroo7 Guest
    Anna, this is SUCH good news! I LOVE this magazine! I keep every issue & use the mag to get inspired, get my mojo going & of course the "how to" section by Pattie is something I ALWAYS look forward to! Thanks for the e-mail address so we can cheer you all on and give our thoughts!

I would totally love to see it continue - the e-zine version was great...and I always got it WAY before the print version came out - so it would be awesome to just continue getting it that way
    My Gallery

Camera: Canon Power Shot S5 IS
    Software: Photoshop Elements 11

I just recently suscribed to this magazine - and I LOVE it! Where I live, I don't get any other scrapbooking magazine and the online subscription was a superb alternative and cheap - and I now look forward to every next issue.

I love Pattie's section, and I love Anna's section on using different kits. But the best is in the end, I don't recall right now what it's called - where "everyone's" pages are shown as inspiration - oh, and the photography section is always good too.

All in all, I DO hope that the ezine version will be continued - I know I will continue my subscription when my year is up!!!
    (The funny thing is, one day last week I received also the paper version of the December January issue in the mail - I was thinking this is weird, but oh so much fun to hold the magazine in my hands and take it to bed!!! LOL!!)
    * Aino *

My gallery

: Nikon D800 & Nikon Df with various lenses.
    : Lightroom and PSCS6

That totally stinks. I didn't know I wasn't going to get a print version anymore. I'm a paper kinda gal - I like to sit on my couch with my magazine or outside while I have a smoke. I honestly have no desire to read a magazine on the internet - not one I'd subscribe to, when there is so much free info out there. It was a great magazine - I'll miss it. I really enjoyed the articles and images, and even the advertising (in fact, I was thinking of contacting the mag for a full-page 4color when I started my site next year...) Thanks for letting me know it's going print-free!

Oh, so the point of the OP - I really have no suggestions, since it won't be in print. I guess a newsletter style would be the way to go, since I'm a lot more likely to read a newsletter in my email (quick and concise), than to sift through a 30 page magazine on a website.

~Tara Ann

I saw this on the CK site and sent in my thoughts. I would love the e-zine as well. You guys did a wonderful job on this magazine and I am so sorry there won't be a paper version any longer!
    Amy

my gallery

My stuff: Nikon D700; Nikkor f2.8 24-70mm, f2.8 105mm, and f1.4 50 mm lenses; Tamron f2.8 70-200; Photoshop CC, Lightroom, iMac, MacBook

DDblinkie! photo DDblinkie_zps0593abf9.gif

9. I just got another renewal letter today???
    -Jen-
    Cassie Jones AND Katrina Kennedy tutorial collector.
    Nikon D90 * Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 (VR) *
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D * Tamaron 28-75 f/2.8 *
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM (LOVE IT)
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 & Lightroom 3.0 beta

10. I really, really LOVED the paper version of this magazine have saved every single issue, and really am sad that it will no longer be in print. I'm not big on an e-zine as I most likely would not take the time to sit in front of the computer and go from link to link. Call me old fashioned, but there is just something about having the pages tangibly in front of me.

But to answer Anna's question (I'll stop whining already ), I love to pore over each page of the magazine for ideas, love the how-to tips, and really love tips on new technology as well as photography. So who knows, maybe I'll bring my old-school self to check out an e-zine - it sure would be better than nothing at all!
    Michelle
    Camera: Olympus E-600
    Software: PSE 8.0
    My Blog

11. I sent in my input...thanks for the heads up Anna.

I loved the paper version of the magazine, but I will continue to look at the magazine online. I am sad, though.

13. I just recently renewed my subscription. WHY? Because I LOVED receiving the paper version. The only thing I liked about the ezine was knowing the real deal would be arriving shortly. My heart, of course, goes out to the people that have lost their jobs. To be honest this approach to terminating the magazine seems a bit shady. It rings a bit too closely to the whole reason this economy of ours is in the crapper in the first place. Shady I tell you. Very shady.

awww!! that's sad - I love the paper version

15. Quote Originally Posted by greywolf18 View Post
    That totally stinks. I didn't know I wasn't going to get a print version anymore. I'm a paper kinda gal - I like to sit on my couch with my magazine or outside while I have a smoke. I honestly have no desire to read a magazine on the internet - not one I'd subscribe to, when there is so much free info out there. It was a great magazine - I'll miss it. I really enjoyed the articles and images, and even the advertising (in fact, I was thinking of contacting the mag for a full-page 4color when I started my site next year...) Thanks for letting me know it's going print-free!

Oh, so the point of the OP - I really have no suggestions, since it won't be in print. I guess a newsletter style would be the way to go, since I'm a lot more likely to read a newsletter in my email (quick and concise), than to sift through a 30 page magazine on a website.

~Tara Ann
    Ditto the above comment by Tara Ann. I spend entirely too much time on the computer already, and I love to sit outside and pour over a good paper mag for relaxation and relief from computer-tired eyes.
    Best Wishes!

Personally, I want my money back. I love the paper version and get enough "stuff" online already. Paper goes many more places than my laptop, and is easier on my eyes. Per the digital scrapbooking website, the subscription may be substituted with other CK products. I wasn't given the option of paying for my sub. with anything other than money, and if they don't honor that contract, then I want my money back. I am paid through Feb. of 2011. I am so disappointed and angry with the ending of this magazine. I know that everyone is supposed to say they are sorry, and oh, how sad, but for me, I'm just plain mad that I sent in my money in good faith, and are being told that I may not get it back nor get the product I was promised. I'm so sick of being nickeled and dimed by companies.
    Yup, I know, this will not make me popular.
    It's easy to fly. Just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Unhappy

I have only just subscribed to the paper version so am very dissapointed to find out that it will no longer be available. Why did they accept my subscription knowing they were not going to be able to deliver!!!

I too would much rather have the paper version to look at over and over rather than reading it all online!!!

18. Even though I LOVE the slick paper of the magazine...I love the fact that the e-zine comes in a PDF file & I can print what pages I want to! I can avoid the ads if I want to!
    andrea

I wanted to chime in here too as someone who finally subscribed to find out that the print version won't be printed anymore. Yes, frustrated, but also relieved that the ezine would be available. I'd love to see a stronger ongoing online presence from DSM...an active blog with dynamic daily, weekly content that reflects what is happening in the industry. Most newspapers and magazines are struggling to stay profitable in the current economy but have also seen readership dwindle as resources are made available online. I understand wanting to hold something tangible, but I love the less resource intensive online option. I can read my version on my phone and my laptop from lots of locations (and often do). Not sure that I actually have any suggestions in here, or if I'm just rambling!

...and I must add...I'd love to see DSM info stand a little more independently than the CK webpage. It seems the new website has so much information I can never find exactly what I'm looking for. Just my 2 cents!

20. I wanted to add a few thoughts regarding my disappointment about receiving only 1 magazine after renewing for the full year price. As I sat and read the last issue I had to wonder how magazines and newspapers can not stay profitable. Subscribers and ads seems like a win win profit situation to me. Particularly when the layouts of these types of magazines are created by the subscribers.

I don't think I have any good suggestions to help here, but I have to admit I just recently subscribed and have only gotten one issue in paper. I also like the paper versions because of being able to take it places (carpool, doctor's offices, etc) that I can't take my computer (I just have a desktop!). Are we just losing our money as subscribers since the last magazine is soon? I'm confused! I wish I had suggestions but I don't know enough about the magazine being a new subscriber to even offer any suggestions.

Denise
    Denise

Well, I'll be one of the lone voices of dissent... but I always thought the paper mag was a waste of space. I'd much rather receive the electronic version--can't lose it, doesn't get all torn up, don't have to look at the ads, and I can follow links immediately! I love that--I've found all kinds of interesting places and things by doing that. I don't really want a newsletter--if it's read quickly, it'll be tossed just as quickly, and the likelihood that the editors will hit on something I'm interested in is slim. I paid full subscription price for the online mag--I hope it continues!

I received an invoice AFTER their announcement that they were stopping publication...I had sent in the renewal with the box checked "bill me". Then the announcement came. Until I'm notified that my subscription will be an online version, I won't be sending my money in. I did, however, notice that my Paper Crafts subscription is now extended. I was letting it run out and I think they moved my credit to that magazine. I would have liked to be asked where I wanted my credit to go to.
    My Gallery

Camera: Canon Power Shot S5 IS
    Software: Photoshop Elements 11

Quote Originally Posted by katrinak View Post

...and I must add...I'd love to see DSM info stand a little more independently than the CK webpage. It seems the new website has so much information I can never find exactly what I'm looking for. Just my 2 cents!
    Couldn't have said it better myself! It's frustrating to meander thru the CK webpage looking for digital stuff sometimes!

25. Good-bye to a dear friend...

I'm sad to hear this news (the demise of DSM) ... as the second issue (way back in 2004/2005) 'woke me up' to the digital scrapbooking world! Though I'd been a paper scrapper and rubber stamper for almost 10 years AND worked in the printing industry for almost 7 years ... the thought of using my photoshop/quark training for scrapbooking just hadn't occurred to me yet. Reading DSM-Issue 2 was a light-bulb moment for me.

Since then, I've loved every issue! Like some of you, I too keep all my issues, frequently getting old issues out to pour over when I'm getting a 'blank canvas' creative block. I cherish my collection! Sitting outside, in my Adirondack chair with a good cup o'joe and a couple issues of DSM has always worked to get me going on projects big or small.

I've enjoyed getting my e-zine early, but cherish my paper versions (I KNOW-the GREEN community is going to rise up and call me a tree-killer ... sorry! I do my best to find many 'other' ways to green-up my footprint!). I can take them on my MANY roadtrips, share them with students who attend DigiScrap classes I teach in the upper midwest US, AND NO electricity or ink required!

Because there are at least a million or so (free) on-line resources for photoshop and digital scrapbooking (tutorials, inspiration, training, add-ons, support ... ) I don't really have anything to offer in terms of finding a way for DSM to stand-apart enough to make it a value that folks would be willing to 'pay' a subscription fee to access (unless you are thinking of going the way of the rest ... free ...?).

I join the others who've recommended DSM have its OWN site rather than being under CK. I find the CM site very cluttery/visually distracting, therefore I don't visit it more than once or twice a year ... and only then because of something specific I'm looking for.

I'll miss DSM VERY MUCH. So SORRY to be saying good-bye so soon!

I'll miss not being able to take a magazine with me to bed, or outside, or in the car. My eyes get really tired easily looking at a computer screen, especially since I work on a computer all day, and then have hobbies on the computer at night. I will not subscribe to an e magazine.

I will really miss the paper version of DSM. Have "they" forgotten about those of use that are still on dial-up and simply don't have the time to wait for it to download??? I agree with many of the others , my eyes get tired and I spend so much time on the computer anyway...I love to have the paper mag to take outside..or when I'm soaking in the tub....shame on them for taking our money when they knew they were going to stop publishing the paper copy....I guess I don't have any ideas...I just liked it the way it was before.

28. I will miss the paper magazine, though I agree that it has always been a great resource online. My favorite segment of the mag was showing what other digi-scrappers have done AND HOW they achieved their results. I am not a big fan of re-inventing the wheel, so I have liked to take their ideas and tweak my own results from them. Thanks for the heads-up, Anna. Somehow I had missed that announcement...

29. Quote Originally Posted by 1IcePrincess View Post
    Ditto the above comment by Tara Ann. I spend entirely too much time on the computer already, and I love to sit outside and pour over a good paper mag for relaxation and relief from computer-tired eyes.
    Best Wishes!
    Same goes here.

What happens to those of us that have a subscription?

30. I don't know how economical it would be to issue this magazine on CDs. Then you could offer freebies on it & that would at least help the dial-up users.

It won't help with our eyes or the cost it we would entail trying to print it if that's what we wanted.

I like the print version because it's easier on the eyes, I'm not tied to my PC & it's a much easier reference. Especially when it comes to techniques.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast