These instructions are for Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.
- Go to File > Open and locate the desired PNG file. Click OPEN.
- Go to Edit > Define Brush Preset (PSE users go to Edit > Define Brush).
- Rename your brush. Click OK.
- Select the Brush Tool (B) and locate your brush in the drop-down menu on the options toolbar. Realistic objects, such as the example, will be converted to a grayscale version of the original, but can be resized and re-colored like any brush.
- Brushes can be up to 2500 x 2500 pixels in size, which is approximately 8x8" at 300 dpi.
- Brushes are saved in a preferences file and can be lost if default preferences are restored. To permanently save your custom brushes, go to Edit > Preset Manager, select the brushes you wish to save, and click on Save Set. Name your set and save it to a location on your hard drive.
- You can make a custom brush from any image, including a photo, but you will only get the transparent background if you use a PNG file.