It's always a good idea to save your layout periodically as you work.
Go to File > Save and save your file using the default PSD extension. This will save all of your layers so that you can make future changes if necessary.
Once you are completely finished, you will most likely want to save different versions of your layout for printing, uploading to online galleries, or e-mailing to family and friends.
Saving for Printing
- Open your original layered PSD file.
- Go to Layer > Flatten Image. If prompted to discard hidden layers, click OK.
- Go to File > Save As and choose JPG as the file type. Click SAVE. When prompted, choose a compression value of 10. Click SAVE.
- If you want to print at a size other than 12x12" you should go to Image > Image Size (in PSE go to Image > Resize > Image Size) and change the dimensions to your desired size, maintaining the 300 dpi resolution. Do this between steps 2 and 3 above.
- Be sure to check with your online printing company for their preferred color profile to make sure your colors print as you see them on your monitor.
- To print on 8x10" or 8.5x11" paper, resize your document to 8x8" after step 2. Create a new document the size of your paper, then Shift-Drag your flattened 8x8" layout over to your new document. Now flatten and save your new document for printing.